Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ukraine attack sparks fear of global food shortage

Ukraine attack sparks fear of global food shortage
Ukraine is one of the world's major wheat exporters and since Russia's attack, global wheat prices have risen to levels not seen since 2008. Sandra McCardell, an assistant deputy minister at Global Affairs Canada, told a Senate committee last week that there will be “a wide range of fallout” from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Ukraine attack sparks fear of global food shortage

997 COVID19 cases over 3 days

997 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There are 449 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 63 are in intensive care. In the past 72 hours, 11 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,914.    

997 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Who else may run for Conservative party leadership

Who else may run for Conservative party leadership
With Sept.10 picked as the date for when the Conservative Party of Canada will have a new leader, time is ticking for prospective candidates and their teams to get into place. Those running have until April 19 to throw their hat into the ring and until June 3 to sell memberships.

Who else may run for Conservative party leadership

Trudeau opens door to more military spending

Trudeau opens door to more military spending
NATO figures estimate Canada spent 1.39 per cent of its GDP on defence last year. The 2017 defence plan Trudeau referred to promised to inject $535 billion over 20 years into the military, which would get spending to about 1.5 per cent of GDP.

Trudeau opens door to more military spending

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen
Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

B.C. pledges $18.4 million to Lytton recovery work

B.C. pledges $18.4 million to Lytton recovery work
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says $18.4 million will cover much of the costs of debris removal, archeological work and soil remediation for municipal, uninsured and underinsured properties in Lytton.

B.C. pledges $18.4 million to Lytton recovery work