Friday, August 29, 2025
ADVT 
National

CP Rail Abandons Threat Of Proxy Battle In Adjusting Norfolk Takeover Strategy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2016 12:11 PM
    MONTREAL — Canadian Pacific Railway is asking Norfolk Southern shareholders to push the U.S. railway's board to enter into merger negotiations.
     
    Calgary-based CP  said Tuesday that instead of launching a proxy battle to elect a slate of sympathetic board members, it has submitted a proposal for a vote at the Virginia-based railway's next annual meeting.
     
    The last one was held in May.
     
    "We are not asking Norfolk Southern shareholders to vote on the existing proposal; we are simply asking them to vote in favour of having their board talk to us," CP Rail CEO Hunter Harrison said in a news release.
     
    "We continue to believe in the potential to create a transcontinental railroad with Norfolk Southern and believe this is a fair and measured approach to getting a deal done."
     
    Norfolk Southern spokesman Frank Brown declined to comment on CP's move. The railway has steadfastly refused to enter into negotiations on CP's US$30-billion offer as customers voiced their opposition to a deal.
     
    CP Rail (TSX:CP) signalled a possible change a couple of weeks ago when Harrison criticized interventions by elected congressional leaders and challenged those who claimed CP's proposed use of a trust was unethical and illegal even though it has been used many times in the past.
     
    Harrison told analysts the company was reviewing its strategy after saying it had failed to anticipate that politics would overtake the regulatory review process.
     
    "If the deck is stacked (against us) and if somebody's got an ace up their sleeve and are not playing by the rules, then we understand that and we have to adjust accordingly," he said during a Jan. 21 conference call on its quarterly results.
     
    CP said Tuesday that the cash-and-stock offer would create a company with the potential to grow earnings faster than either railway could achieve on its own, while delivering enhanced service to customers.
     
    "Shareholders and analysts will be watching Norfolk Southern closely throughout 2016 and if they continue to underperform, the pressure to work with CP will only grow," added Harrison.
     
    While he believes railway mergers will eventually be required to accommodate economic and population growth, Harrison has said CP would also assess whether to abandon its bid and instead focus on repurchasing its shares, which have fallen 35 per cent in the last year.
     
    Canadian Pacific has filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice asking antitrust authorities to review if major U.S. railways have conducted an illegal co-ordinated effort to block industry consolidation, including the proposed takeover of Norfolk Southern.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Special Warning Issued By Coroner, Avalanche Canada, Prior To B.C.'s Family Day

    Special Warning Issued By Coroner, Avalanche Canada, Prior To B.C.'s Family Day
    Avalanche Canada and the B.C. Coroners Service have joined forced in hopes of saving lives over British Columbia's upcoming Family Day weekend.

    Special Warning Issued By Coroner, Avalanche Canada, Prior To B.C.'s Family Day

    Marco Muzzo Pleads Guilty In Ont. Crash That Killed Three Kids And Grandfather; Gets Bail

    Marco Muzzo Pleads Guilty In Ont. Crash That Killed Three Kids And Grandfather; Gets Bail
    Marco Muzzo, 29, pleaded guilty in a Newmarket, Ont., court on Thursday to four counts of impaired driving causing death and two of impaired driving causing bodily harm related to the Sept. 27 crash.

    Marco Muzzo Pleads Guilty In Ont. Crash That Killed Three Kids And Grandfather; Gets Bail

    Protest Held After Decorated War Veteran Kicked Out Of Winnipeg Shopping Mall

    Protest Held After Decorated War Veteran Kicked Out Of Winnipeg Shopping Mall
    Joseph Meconse said he and a friend sat down to tea in the mall's food court on Saturday when a security guard approached him and told him he had half an hour before he would have to leave.

    Protest Held After Decorated War Veteran Kicked Out Of Winnipeg Shopping Mall

    Nanaimo, B.C., Contractor Praised For Anti-Theft Devices To Protect His Tools

    Nanaimo, B.C., Contractor Praised For Anti-Theft Devices To Protect His Tools
    RCMP say they were called to a construction site near Westwood Lake on Nanaimo's west side, early Wednesday morning.

    Nanaimo, B.C., Contractor Praised For Anti-Theft Devices To Protect His Tools

    Police North Of Montreal Sound Alarm After Third Teenage Girl Reported Missing

    Police North Of Montreal Sound Alarm After Third Teenage Girl Reported Missing
    Laval police say Mathilde Geoffroy Aube, 16, has not been seen since Monday.

    Police North Of Montreal Sound Alarm After Third Teenage Girl Reported Missing

    Montreal-Area Hockey Player Andrew Zaccardo Awarded $8 Million After Being Paralyzed

    Montreal-Area Hockey Player Andrew Zaccardo Awarded $8 Million After Being Paralyzed
    One of Andrew Zaccardo's lawyers said the amount handed down in a judge's ruling this week might be a record in such a case in any sport.

    Montreal-Area Hockey Player Andrew Zaccardo Awarded $8 Million After Being Paralyzed