Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Crash in B.C. kills 3 high school students

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 May, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Crash in B.C. kills 3 high school students

Members of a critical incident response team are working at a Kelowna, B.C., high school helping students cope with the loss of three Grade 12 classmates.

The 3 Kelowna Senior Secondary students were in a Honda Civic sedan that RCMP say hit a utility pole in the city just after midnight Wednesday.

An 18-year-old woman who was driving and two passengers, an 18-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl, died at the scene.

The three were set to graduate within weeks and School District 23 Superintendent Kevin Kardaal says a specialized team of grief counsellors is at the school.

He says students and staff are being offered support as they deal with shock and grief.

Const. Solana Paré says police remained at the crash scene for much of Wednesday trying to determine exactly what happened.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family affected by this tragic collision," Paré said in a statement.

Investigators are appealing for more witnesses and she said the RCMP's victim services unit is also offering support to witnesses, friends and family of those who died. (CKFR)

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bank of Canada holds key rate steady

Bank of Canada holds key rate steady
The bank's senior decision-makers say resilience in the economy has to do with consumers and businesses adapting to new rounds of lockdowns and restrictions.

Bank of Canada holds key rate steady

COVID lockdowns violate inmate rights, suit claims

COVID lockdowns violate inmate rights, suit claims
Other alleged breaches, according to the claim, relate to the suspension of visits and religious services, as well as to the provision of substandard health-care.

COVID lockdowns violate inmate rights, suit claims

Spending tied to COVID-19 set to drop sharply: PBO

Spending tied to COVID-19 set to drop sharply: PBO
The report is based on estimates tabled in Parliament last month and does not factor in the coming budget, which may not be introduced until April.

Spending tied to COVID-19 set to drop sharply: PBO

New approach to COVID-19 shots in Prince Rupert

New approach to COVID-19 shots in Prince Rupert
The first clinics for roughly 12,000 Prince Rupert-area residents begin Monday and continue until April 1.

New approach to COVID-19 shots in Prince Rupert

NDP, Bloc accuse Tories of obstructing legislation

NDP, Bloc accuse Tories of obstructing legislation
Julian's criticism came after the Conservatives blocked his attempt Monday to break the legislative impasse.

NDP, Bloc accuse Tories of obstructing legislation

550 cases of COVID19 for Tuesday

550 cases of COVID19 for Tuesday
There have been 182 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 576 cases.

550 cases of COVID19 for Tuesday