Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Crews face tree danger from high winds as B.C. wildfires abate due to precipitation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 09:59 AM
  • Crews face tree danger from high winds as B.C. wildfires abate due to precipitation

Heavy rain in parts of British Columbia over the weekend has lowered wildfire activity in the southern part of the province, but firefighters say strong winds are creating some tree hazards for crews.

The BC Wildfire Service says in its latest update that the number of active blazes in the province has fallen to around 311, continuing a downward trend from Friday when there were about 340 fires burning.

The wildfire service says while much of the southern part of B.C. received rain and some parts had heavy precipitation, it was accompanied by winds gusting up to 102 kilometres per hour.

The wind "blew trees down along fire lines in the south" and forced a fire camp in Invermere, B.C., to move to another location, but the service says no one was injured.

The number of out-of-control wildfires in the province has dropped to about 87, with 28 per cent of B.C.'s active blazes now being held and 44 per cent classified as "under control."

The Corya Creek wildfire located about 170 kilometres northeast of Terrace, B.C., remains the province's only fire of note, which means the blaze is either highly visible or a possible threat to public safety.

The wildfire service says more than 10,000 square kilometres of land has been burned in B.C. in this year's fire season starting April 1.

That followed a record wildfire season in 2023 where more than 28,000 square kilometres of land was burned, forcing the evacuations of communities in regions such as the Okanagan and the Shuswap.

Environment Canada is forecasting some possible precipitation across the province early in the week, but most parts of B.C. will see a return of warmer, drier weather as Labour Day weekend approaches.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating the city's first homicide of this year.  A statement from police says officers were called to a home near East 33rd Avenue and Knight Street just after 1 a.m. Sunday and found a man dead inside.  Police say they arrested a 39-year-old man at the scene.  

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say
Police in Coquitlam are asking for the public's help in identifying two separate drivers suspected of hitting the same pedestrian in alleged hit-and-run crashes. A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says the woman had been walking legally through a crosswalk at the intersection of Pinetree Way and Guildford Way, right across from City Hall, when the first vehicle struck her as it made a turn.

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students
British Columbia's Minister of Post-Secondary Education Selina Robinson says no new institutions will be allowed to enrol international students for two years. Robinson also says the province is setting minimum language requirements so international students are "better prepared" before coming to B.C.  

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says there’s an emerging patter of stability in the commercial real estate market. While sales were down in the third quarter of 2023 compared with the year before, the board says demand for commercial properties is starting to re-emerge. 

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Human remains found in Nanaimo
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say human remains found at a beach on Wednesday have been identified as that of a 35-year-old man reported missing early last month.  Mounties say the remains were found at Neck Point beach.

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel
Canada opted to say as little as possible Friday about an International Court of Justice ruling that ordered Israel to prevent a genocide of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. After hours of silence from the federal government, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly eventually released a statement that did not directly respond to the ruling.

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel