Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Crisis Line Urgently Needed For Victims Of Coerced Sterilization: Senator

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 May, 2019 07:48 PM

    OTTAWA — An Ontario senator is calling on the federal government to fund a crisis line for victims of coerced and forced sterilization to ensure traumatized women can access assistance.


    Yvonne Boyer says her office has received numerous calls and e-mails from victims seeking help.


    She says she has also been approached by victims during recent travels and stresses that a help line must be operated by an outside organization to ensure individuals feel comfortable reaching out.


    Last week, Indigenous Services Minister Seamus O'Regan told the Senate that forced and coerced sterilization amounts to a violation of human rights, adding it is "deeply troubling" the practice could happen in Canada.


    He pointed to a working group of federal, provincial and territorial officials created to improve "cultural safety and health systems" — words he didn't specifically define.


    Boyer says the issue is about stopping sterilizations of women without their consent, not improving cultural practices in health care.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Youth Worker Charged With Child Pornography, Sex Assault In Maple Ridge, B.C.

    A man who worked with children and youth at several schools in British Columbia's Lower Mainland is facing sexual assault and child pornography charges.

    Youth Worker Charged With Child Pornography, Sex Assault In Maple Ridge, B.C.

    Tory Leader Andrew Scheer Issues New Statement On Attacks Including Mention Of Muslims

    The statement does not mention Scheer by name but he is the only Canadian political leader whose public response to the attacks did not mention either Muslims or mosques.    

    Tory Leader Andrew Scheer Issues New Statement On Attacks Including Mention Of Muslims

    Quebec City Mosque Shooter Alexandre Bissonnette 'Very Affected' By New Zealand Massacre: Lawyers

    Lawyers for the Quebec City mosque gunman say their client is troubled his name is being associated with the mass killings at two New Zealand mosques Friday that claimed at least 49 lives.

    Quebec City Mosque Shooter Alexandre Bissonnette 'Very Affected' By New Zealand Massacre: Lawyers

    Team 4549B: The future of Robotics

    In early March, the team won the BC provincial championship; they were named Tournament Champion and Robot Skills Challenge Champion, and won the Excellence Award. The team will soon be taking part in the World Championship in Kentucky, Louisville in USA. 

    Team 4549B: The future of Robotics

    28-Year-Old White Supremacist Australian Man Kills 49 In New Zealand's Christchurch Mosques Massacre

    At least 49 people were killed when gunmen said to be whites opened indiscriminate fire at two mosques in Christchurch city on Friday in what a shocked New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said was a terror attack.

    28-Year-Old White Supremacist Australian Man Kills 49 In New Zealand's Christchurch Mosques Massacre

    California Grandmother Beant Kaur Dhillon Drowns Hours-Old Grandson To 'Prevent Family Shame', Buries Him In Backyard

    Two people were arrested after the body of an hours-old baby boy were found in the backyard of a house in Bakersfield, California.

    California Grandmother Beant Kaur Dhillon Drowns Hours-Old Grandson To 'Prevent Family Shame', Buries Him In Backyard