Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI
A coalition of Canadian news publishers is suing OpenAI for using news content to train its ChatGPT generative artificial intelligence system. The coalition includes The Canadian Press, Torstar, Globe and Mail, Postmedia and CBC/Radio-Canada.

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway
BC Highway Patrol says the crash happened just before 11 a.m. on a stretch of Highway 1 in Chilliwack, where an eastbound dump truck saw two of its wheels come loose from one of its axles as it was driving. Police say one of the loose wheels then crossed the highway into the westbound lanes, where it hit the SUV head-on.

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga
The Surrey Police Service took over from the RCMP and became the city's force of jurisdiction Friday, after a six-year saga set in motion by former mayor Doug McCallum. Along the way, there were court challenges, a change of municipal government and accusations of bullying, but McCallum says he has no regrets about the troubled transition for the community southeast of Vancouver.

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga

Liberals, NDP pass GST bill in House of Commons

Liberals, NDP pass GST bill in House of Commons
The two-month tax break covers dozens of items, including children's clothes and toys, video games and consoles, Christmas trees, restaurant and catered meals, wine, beer, candy and snacks. It would take effect on Dec. 14 and run until Feb. 15, 2025.

Liberals, NDP pass GST bill in House of Commons

Federal government posts $13B deficit in first half of the fiscal year

Federal government posts $13B deficit in first half of the fiscal year
The Finance Department says the federal deficit was $13 billion between April and September. That compares to an $8.2 billion deficit over the same period last year.

Federal government posts $13B deficit in first half of the fiscal year