Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Climate protesters arrested outside Pierre Poilievre's official residence in Ottawa

Climate protesters arrested outside Pierre Poilievre's official residence in Ottawa
Ottawa police say two people were arrested this morning after an "unlawful" demonstration outside Stornoway, the official residence the Opposition leader. Greenpeace Canada says its activists blocked Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's house and two of them locked themselves to a replica oil pumpjack placed in the driveway.

Climate protesters arrested outside Pierre Poilievre's official residence in Ottawa

Which items will be tax-free under the Liberals' promised GST/HST break?

Which items will be tax-free under the Liberals' promised GST/HST break?
The government says removing GST from these goods for a two-month period would save $100 for a family that spends $2,000 on those goods during that time. For those in provinces with HST, a family spending $2,000 would save $260. 

Which items will be tax-free under the Liberals' promised GST/HST break?

BC Hydro says most power outages fixed after bomb cyclone, but new storm looms

BC Hydro says most power outages fixed after bomb cyclone, but new storm looms
BC Hydro says it has restored power to 90 per cent of customers who lost electricity this week when hurricane-force winds slammed into parts of the British Columbia coast, but forecasters say a new storm is on the way. Winds from the so-called bomb cyclone weather system exceeded 100 km/h in some places Wednesday, with Environment Canada data showing remote Sartine Island off northern Vancouver Island hit by the most powerful gusts of the day, reaching 113 km/h.

BC Hydro says most power outages fixed after bomb cyclone, but new storm looms

Federal government plans to give $250 cheques to millions of Canadians, cut GST

Federal government plans to give $250 cheques to millions of Canadians, cut GST
The GST break would begin Dec. 14 and end Feb. 15. The Liberals say it will apply to a number of items including children's clothing and shoes, toys, diapers, restaurant meals and beer and wine. It also applies to Christmas trees, a variety of snack foods and beverages, and video game consoles.

Federal government plans to give $250 cheques to millions of Canadians, cut GST

B.C. RCMP say multiple victims injured in single vehicle crash

B.C. RCMP say multiple victims injured in single vehicle crash
Mounties on Vancouver Island say they are investigating a single-vehicle crash that left "multiple" people injured.  Sidney North Saanich RCMP say officers were called to a shopping plaza in Sidney at about 2:30 p.m. 

B.C. RCMP say multiple victims injured in single vehicle crash

More medical, law enforcement testimony expected in human smuggling trial

More medical, law enforcement testimony expected in human smuggling trial
The prosecution is expecting to wrap up its case today in the trial of two men accused of human smuggling at the border between Manitoba and Minnesota. Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel have pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from several border crossings in 2021 and 2022.

More medical, law enforcement testimony expected in human smuggling trial