Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Joly, Blinken push to get B.C. river treaty through Congress before Trump government

Joly, Blinken push to get B.C. river treaty through Congress before Trump government
Top officials in both Canada and the United States are pushing for the need to finalize the Columbia River Treaty to manage water flowing between the two countries before the administration change in America. Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly told reporters in Lima, Peru, that much can be accomplished to get the treaty passed through Congress before president-elect Donald Trump takes office on Jan. 20.

Joly, Blinken push to get B.C. river treaty through Congress before Trump government

Three more cases of fraudulent overbilling, Ottawa says

Three more cases of fraudulent overbilling, Ottawa says
The federal government has referred three more cases of fraudulent overbilling in its procurement system to the RCMP. In July, a former federal consultant was charged with fraud for overbilling the government by $250,000.

Three more cases of fraudulent overbilling, Ottawa says

Federal government overestimating immigration impact on housing gap: PBO

Federal government overestimating immigration impact on housing gap: PBO
Canada's parliamentary budget officer says the federal government is overestimating the impact its new immigration plan will have on the country's housing shortage. In October the Liberal government announced it was cutting the number of permanent residents allowed into the country between 2025 and 2027.

Federal government overestimating immigration impact on housing gap: PBO

Foreign interference inquiry's final report now due by end of January

Foreign interference inquiry's final report now due by end of January
The federal government is giving an inquiry into foreign interference an extra month to complete its work.  Commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue's final report is now due by the end of January, a month later than expected. 

Foreign interference inquiry's final report now due by end of January

Other countries seeking out advice from Canada ahead of Trump return: Joly

Other countries seeking out advice from Canada ahead of Trump return: Joly
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Donald Trump's return to the White House has boosted Canada's influence in the world as other international partners turn to Canada for advice on how to deal with him.  Joly made the comments in Peru, where she was attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Other countries seeking out advice from Canada ahead of Trump return: Joly

Canada Post workers go on strike Friday morning, disrupting deliveries

Canada Post workers go on strike Friday morning, disrupting deliveries
Canada Post workers hit the picket lines Friday after contract negotiations with their employer failed to conclude by the strike deadline — and Ottawa is signalling it's not ready to intervene. The Canadian Union of Postal Workers said approximately 55,000 workers are striking, claiming little progress has been made in the bargaining process.

Canada Post workers go on strike Friday morning, disrupting deliveries