Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout
The BC Maritime Employers Association has released the details of its final offer to the union representing more than 700 foremen ahead of a looming lockout on Monday. The offer, which is dated Wednesday and addressed to International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 President Frank Morena, was released publicly on Saturday. 

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes
Environment Canada says strong winds and heavy rain are expected overnight and into Monday for British Columbia's south coast. The weather agency says lower amounts are expected elsewhere across the region. It says strong southeast winds are also expected overnight before becoming "very strong west to northwest winds" on Monday.

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

String of robberies in Surrey

String of robberies in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they're investigating a series of residential robberies believed to be linked to similar break-and-enter incidents in other areas of the Lower Mainland. Surrey RCMP say the suspects work in a team of three, targeting large, single-family homes that are unoccupied at the time, often between 5 and 9 p-m.

String of robberies in Surrey

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union
Ports in British Columbia are waking up to the possibility of another provincewide labour disruption as employers say they will lock out members of the union representing more than 700 foremen after it served a strike notice. The BC Maritime Employers Association says in a statement that it has issued a formal notice that it will "defensively" lock out members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 starting Monday at 8 a.m.

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting
Mounties on Vancouver Island say a man has been arrested in Ontario and another is believed to have fled to India after shots were fired at a home in Greater Victoria last month. Property records show the home is owned by Punjabi music star A-P Dhillon, who posted on Instagram after the shooting that he was safe.

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week
The City of Vancouver says the remaining seven residents of an encampment at a Downtown Eastside park have a week to pack up their belongings and leave, or they must remove their tents each day as the area returns to regular daytime use. A statement from the city says people may continue sheltering at CRAB Park overnight, but structures must be taken down by 8 a.m. each day starting Nov. 7.

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week