Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre promises to abolish federal sales tax on new homes under $1 million

Poilievre promises to abolish federal sales tax on new homes under $1 million
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says if his party forms government, it will scrap the federal sales tax on new homes sold for less than $1 million and push provinces to do the same. Poilievre made the case for the cut in a six-minute video published online, arguing governments are partly to blame for high home prices because they're charging too much in sales taxes.

Poilievre promises to abolish federal sales tax on new homes under $1 million

B.C. port employers, foremen's union return to negotiation table with mediator

B.C. port employers, foremen's union return to negotiation table with mediator
The BC Maritime Employers Association says in a statement that it will meet Oct. 29 with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514, which represents about 700 port foremen. 

B.C. port employers, foremen's union return to negotiation table with mediator

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada
Polish authorities say four people have been charged in an alleged plan to send explosives via courier service to Canada and the United States. The RCMP says it is aware of the arrests, but declined further comment to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo
A man is dead after a hit-and-run in Nanaimo last night. RCMP say bystanders and first responders tried to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing
A man charged in the fatal stabbing of an 18-year-old in the parking lot of a Metro Vancouver high school two years ago has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Homicide investigators say the man, who cannot be identified because he was 17 at the time of the attack, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in provincial court in Surrey.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says
Workers in Metro Vancouver have chiselled away about 50 tonnes of so-called "fatbergs" that have clogged the sewer system and prompted a reminder to residents not to dump grease down the drain. 

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says