Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Veteran Quebec TV exec Marie-Philippe Bouchard named new CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada

Veteran Quebec TV exec Marie-Philippe Bouchard named new CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada
A seasoned Quebec television executive has been appointed as the next president and CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada. Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge says Marie-Philippe Bouchard will step into the top role at Canada's public broadcaster.

Veteran Quebec TV exec Marie-Philippe Bouchard named new CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada

Justin Trudeau says his leadership is not in danger as Liberals brace for revolt

Justin Trudeau says his leadership is not in danger as Liberals brace for revolt
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his leadership of the Liberal party is not in danger, even as members of his caucus prepare to confront him Wednesday in the hopes of convincing him to step down. He brushed off those concerns as he headed into his regular Tuesday meeting with cabinet ministers.

Justin Trudeau says his leadership is not in danger as Liberals brace for revolt

John Rustad shares his B.C. Conservative origin story, in postelection message

John Rustad shares his B.C. Conservative origin story, in postelection message
John Rustad has taken to social media to describe his origin story as leader of British Columbia's Conservative Party, which he took from obscurity to the brink of power in Saturday's provincial election. The Conservatives went from taking less than two per cent of the vote in 2020 to being elected or leading in 45 ridings, two short of a majority and only one behind Premier David Eby's New Democrats.

John Rustad shares his B.C. Conservative origin story, in postelection message

BC hiker missing since 14 days

BC hiker missing since 14 days
Mounties in northeastern B-C say "extensive resources" including police dogs have been deployed in the search for a man who has failed to return from a 10-day camping trip in a remote provincial park. R-C-M-P say Sam Benastick's family reported him missing on Saturday, after he didn't come home from the trip to Redfern-Keily Park, about 250 kilometres northwest of Fort St. John.

BC hiker missing since 14 days

Man Tasered after trespassing in Victoria school, forcing lockdown

Man Tasered after trespassing in Victoria school, forcing lockdown
A middle school in Victoria was forced into a lockdown after a man entered the building without permission, and police say they had to use a stun gun to make an arrest. Victoria police say officers received multiple calls around noon on Monday of an unknown male entering Central Middle School, leading staff to set off emergency procedures that put the building under lockdown. 

Man Tasered after trespassing in Victoria school, forcing lockdown

B.C. Greens' ex- leader Weaver thinks minority deal with NDP less likely than in 2017

B.C. Greens' ex- leader Weaver thinks minority deal with NDP less likely than in 2017
Former B.C. Green leader Andrew Weaver knows what it's like to form a minority government with the NDP, but says such a deal to form the province's next government is less likely this time than seven years ago. Weaver struck a power-sharing agreement that resulted in John Horgan's NDP minority government in 2017, but says there is now more animosity between the two parties.

B.C. Greens' ex- leader Weaver thinks minority deal with NDP less likely than in 2017