Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison
A man convicted of first-degree murder for killing his business partner in Port Coquitlam in 1994 has died in prison. Correctional Service Canada says David Anthony Lowe, an inmate at William Head Institution near Victoria, died of apparent natural causes last week. 

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

One dead in Burnaby stabbing
Police in Burnaby say homicide investigators are looking for any witnesses or dash-camera footage after a fatal stabbing yesterday evening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing along 1st Avenue near Ingleton Avenue at around 6:15 p-m. 

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall
Mounties in Burnaby say their community response team arrested six shoplifters after being deployed to one of the city’s malls for six hours. Police say nearly 75-hundred-dollars worth of stolen items was recovered and returned to retailers. 

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents
British Columbia's worker safety agency is moving to address "gaps" in construction crane safety after recent accidents, including fatalities. WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety. 

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby
British Columbia Premier David Eby says construction of an $85-million expansion of kidney hemodialysis services in Surrey is set to start in August. Eby says a new unit at Surrey Memorial Hospital will add 21 renal hemodialysis beds to treat patients with kidney disease, bringing the hospital's total to 60 stations.

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby

Federal banking regulator OSFI keeps domestic stability buffer on hold at 3.5%

Federal banking regulator OSFI keeps domestic stability buffer on hold at 3.5%
The federal banking regulator is keeping its domestic stability buffer on hold as it says financial system vulnerabilities remain elevated but stable, while near-term risks continue to be low despite some recent increase. The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions says its domestic stability buffer will remain at 3.5 per cent of total risk-weighted assets.

Federal banking regulator OSFI keeps domestic stability buffer on hold at 3.5%