Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Indian international students most likely to live in unsuitable housing, StatCan says

Indian international students most likely to live in unsuitable housing, StatCan says
The study, which was based on the most recent census data, says Indian students were more likely to live in unsuitable housing than students from other countries. In Brampton, Ont. and Surrey, B.C., the municipalities with the largest proportions of Indian students, more than 60 per cent of international students were living in unsuitable housing.

Indian international students most likely to live in unsuitable housing, StatCan says

Freeland says capital gains proposal will be tabled before summer break

Freeland says capital gains proposal will be tabled before summer break
The Liberal government will bring its proposal to increase the inclusion rate on capital gains to the House of Commons before the parliamentary summer break, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday.

Freeland says capital gains proposal will be tabled before summer break

Cooler, wetter weather aids B.C. wildfire fight in northeast

Cooler, wetter weather aids B.C. wildfire fight in northeast
The BC Wildfire Service says cooler, wetter conditions are allowing crews to make progress in their firefight in the province's northeast where thousands of evacuees remain out of their homes for a second week. The service says the more seasonable weather is expected to persist until Wednesday.

Cooler, wetter weather aids B.C. wildfire fight in northeast

Killer Robert Pickton in life-threatening condition after Quebec prison attack

Killer Robert Pickton in life-threatening condition after Quebec prison attack
Correctional Service Canada has confirmed that B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton was the inmate injured in a "major assault" Sunday at a Quebec prison. Quebec provincial police said Tuesday that 74-year-old Picktonwas taken to hospital with injuries that were considered life-threatening.  

Killer Robert Pickton in life-threatening condition after Quebec prison attack

Surrey Board of Trade calls for review of sex offender regulations, protocols

Surrey Board of Trade calls for review of sex offender regulations, protocols
The Surrey Board of Trade says it is joining Mayor Brenda Locke in "urgently calling" for a comprehensive review of laws and protocols around high-risk sex offenders.  Board President Anita Huberman says in an open letter to B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth and Attorney General Niki Sharma that the board is concerned and frustrated about the recent release of a 29-year-old, who lives in Surrey and was convicted of sexually assaulting two women in 2017.

Surrey Board of Trade calls for review of sex offender regulations, protocols

B.C. mayor says drones endangering wildfire helicopter pilots, pleads for patience

B.C. mayor says drones endangering wildfire helicopter pilots, pleads for patience
The mayor of the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality in British Columbia says drones are endangering helicopters being used to fight wildfires near Fort Nelson, which was ordered evacuated earlier this month. 

B.C. mayor says drones endangering wildfire helicopter pilots, pleads for patience