Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats
The federal government announced $574 million in funding on Monday for 19 projects across the country to prepare for health emergencies, including the next pandemic. One of them is a national network of existing emergency departments and primary-care clinics that will screen for any new viruses or pathogens that start to appear in patients.

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown
London Drugs is gradually reopening its stores across Western Canada more than a week after a cybersecurity breach forced the retailer to close. The company says it is working with independent cybersecurity experts to securely bring its systems back online after it was discovered April 28.

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar
Three suspects accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar last year are scheduled to appear in court in Surrey on Tuesday. Indian nationals Karanpreet Singh, Kamalpreet Singh, and Karan Brar are due to face charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder at Surrey Provincial Court.

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP
Mounties say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in a fatal stabbing that shook the community of White Rock, B.C., last month. A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Hyacinth from nearby Surrey is accused of killing Kulwinder Singh Sohi on April 23, two days after Hyacinth allegedly stabbed another man who survived the attack.

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar
Three Indian nationals have been charged with the murder of B.C. Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar, in a killing last year that threw Ottawa's relationship with New Delhi into disarray. Police say they are investigating if the Indian government was involved, an allegation raised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the House of Commons last year.  

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts
A corporate decision to mothball Canada's largest carbon capture and storage plan is likely the result of financial uncertainty and technological risks, analysts suggest.

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts