Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Air Canada to bar carry-on bags for its lowest-fare customers

Air Canada to bar carry-on bags for its lowest-fare customers
Starting early next month, Air Canada will bar carry-on bags for its lowest-fare customers. Canada's largest airline says passengers who opt for its basic fare on trips within North America and to sun destinations will have to check any duffel bags, rollers and large backpacks for a fee.

Air Canada to bar carry-on bags for its lowest-fare customers

Canadians to spend $801 more on food in 2025 as climate, Trump affect prices: report

Canadians to spend $801 more on food in 2025 as climate, Trump affect prices: report
A new report says a Canadian family of four can expect to spend up to $801 more on food in 2025 than they did this year. The report by experts at four Canadian universities says food prices are likely to rise between three and five per cent next year. 

Canadians to spend $801 more on food in 2025 as climate, Trump affect prices: report

Ottawa outlines $2B in spending for artificial intelligence computing power

Ottawa outlines $2B in spending for artificial intelligence computing power
The federal government says it will spend up to $1 billion to build public computing infrastructure for the Canadian artificial intelligence sector, part of a $2 billion commitment outlined in this spring’s federal budget. A government official not authorized to speak publicly on the issue says that supercomputing infrastructure will be made available to businesses and researchers across Canada. 

Ottawa outlines $2B in spending for artificial intelligence computing power

Canada Post strike hits three-week mark as union says it's ready to restart mediation

Canada Post strike hits three-week mark as union says it's ready to restart mediation
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers said in a bulletin Wednesday evening it had sent the counter-proposals to the government-appointed mediator. Canada Post confirmed Thursday morning it received the proposals through the mediator. The union said it's ready to get back to federal mediation, which was put on pause last week. 

Canada Post strike hits three-week mark as union says it's ready to restart mediation

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver
Dense fog has reduced visibility to near-zero for the third straight day in Metro Vancouver, cancelling flights and creating potentially hazardous travel conditions. Environment Canada says a fog advisory is in effect for the Greater Vancouver area, as well as the Fraser Valley, Sunshine Coast and eastern Vancouver Island.

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey
One person is in custody and another is receiving treatment after a stabbing this morning in Surrey. Police say it happened near Princess Margaret Secondary school, which was placed under a temporary "hold and secure" order for a short time.

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey