Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman chased at transit station

Woman chased at transit station
A suspect has been arrested in Richmond after reports of an armed man chasing a woman at a transit station. Mounties say it happened over the weekend, when witnesses told police that a man carrying a knife got off a train and fell down an escalator.

Woman chased at transit station

2 arrested in string of break-ins

2 arrested in string of break-ins
Port Moody police say they have arrested two men in a string of vehicle break-ins in the city. Police say officers received a report over the weekend of two suspects attempting to break into parked cars in the Heritage Mountain neighbourhood.

2 arrested in string of break-ins

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Man dead after collision with semi-truck
Police say a man is dead after his pickup collided with a semi-truck near Quesnel. Mounties say the crash happened on November 29th just before 4:30 p-m on Highway 97 north of the community.

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold
Canada Post says it's waiting for a response from the union representing some 55,000 striking workers after it offered a new framework for negotiations over the weekend.  The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has said its negotiators are reviewing the proposal.

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister
The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped. The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general
The auditor general says the small business loan program the federal government rolled out during the COVID-19 pandemic wasn’t managed in a cost-effective way. Auditor general Karen Hogan says the Canada Emergency Business Account program wasn’t managed with “due regard for value for money.”

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general