Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver police say woman's death considered a homicide, man also injured

Vancouver police say woman's death considered a homicide, man also injured
Police say they are investigating a homicide involving the death of a woman. Vancouver police say officers were called overnight to a home in an area near Rupert Street and Euclid Avenue on the city's east side.

Vancouver police say woman's death considered a homicide, man also injured

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments. Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

High school closed in Campbell River

High school closed in Campbell River
Hundreds of students in Campbell River, B.C., couldn't attend class on Friday because of a fire in their high school.  A statement from Campbell River Fire Chief Dan Verdun says they responded to a report of a fire in Carihi Secondary School late Thursday night.

High school closed in Campbell River

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again
There won't be a sitting of the British Columbia legislature this fall as originally planned. The Office of the Premier issued a brief statement Friday saying that Raj Chouhan has been confirmed to serve again as the Speaker of the legislature, so there is no need to hold a sitting. 

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case
Quebec’s pension fund manager says it is co-operating with United States authorities after three former employees were indicted in federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y., in an alleged scheme to give hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes to the Indian government. The U.S. Attorney's Office says the trio were involved between 2020 and 2024 in a plot to pay more than US$250 million in bribes to Indian officials and to deceive investors and banks to secure contracts worth billions of dollars with a solar energy company.

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been arrested for allegedly uttering threats against police while livestreaming on a social media platform. RCMP say they received the complaint about the man on Friday morning as he stood outside Richmond City Hall.

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP