Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike
The Liberal government in Ottawa is signalling it's not currently planning to intervene to end the Canada Post strike, even though the two sides appear to be far apart and the strike is hitting at the busiest time of year for the postal service. Some 55,000 workers hit the picket lines across Canada on Friday, after contract negotiations with their employer blew past the 72-hour strike deadline set by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison
The Correctional Service Canada says an inmate was brought to an outside hospital after being assaulted at a maximum-security prison in Agassiz. It says in a news release that the attack happened last Friday.

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific
Ottawa has concluded negotiations for a trade deal with Indonesia and is proposing nuclear-energy collaboration with Southeast Asian leaders. The moves are a show of faith for multilateralism as the re-election of Donald Trump in the United States is raising fears of further strain in global co-operation on trade and the environment.

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content
The CRTC is looking at how to redefine Canadian content, launching a new consultation with plans to hold a public hearing in the spring. That includes asking questions about whether artificial intelligence-created video can be considered Cancon.

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is calling for more federal funding after storms in B-C last month caused more than 110-million dollars in damage.  Intense rainfall and wind brought on by an atmospheric river resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding roads, parking garages and basements in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Metro Vancouver and Surrey.

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Man charged in series of robberies

Man charged in series of robberies
Mounties in Surrey say a man has been charged with nine offences, including theft and disguise with intent after a series of robberies in the city.  They say officers responded to a report of a jewelry store theft on October 7th, where a suspect stole about 27-thousand dollars worth of goods. 

Man charged in series of robberies