Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

PHAC explains reason for pulling COVID-19 vaccines before new ones approved

PHAC explains reason for pulling COVID-19 vaccines before new ones approved
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it asked provinces to get rid of existing COVID-19 vaccines to avoid confusion with new formulations that will have the same drug identification number. Health Canada says it is reviewing updated COVID-19 vaccines that essentially modify the current shot to target a more recent strain of the virus for an expected fall rollout.

PHAC explains reason for pulling COVID-19 vaccines before new ones approved

Joly says Canada bars any Canadian-made arms from reaching Gaza

Joly says Canada bars any Canadian-made arms from reaching Gaza
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Ottawa prohibits any Canadian-made weapons from reaching the Gaza Strip. Her comments come weeks after the U.S. announced plans to send Quebec-made ammunition to Israel.

Joly says Canada bars any Canadian-made arms from reaching Gaza

Woman asked to be taken to hospital before she died in cell, says police watchdog

Woman asked to be taken to hospital before she died in cell, says police watchdog
British Columbia's police watchdog says a woman who died of an overdose in an RCMP jail cell had asked to go to hospital twice. A report released by the Independent Investigations Office says the case continues to raise concerns about how intoxicated prisoners are housed in B.C., as police aren't trained medical personnel and jail cells aren't the best place for such people.

Woman asked to be taken to hospital before she died in cell, says police watchdog

2 assaulted in a Surrey park

2 assaulted in a Surrey park
Mounties are looking for witnesses after an assault of two men in a Surrey park that left one with life-threatening injuries. They say officers responded on Sunday around 12:40 A-M to a report of a disturbance and arrived to find two victims.

2 assaulted in a Surrey park

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing
Mounties in Surrey say a woman has been charged in the weekend stabbing in the city. They say officers responded to a report of a pedestrian being struck around 2:15 A-M on Saturday, but arrived to find a woman suffering from stab wounds.

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation
British Columbia's Public Safety Ministry says it has filed an unexplained wealth order application in court following a 2023 shooting at a Vancouver home. As part of a criminal investigation, the ministry says a suspect's home was searched and police discovered an illegal cannabis-growing operation, ammunition and more than $1.4 million in cash. 

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation