Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog
Alberta's police watchdog says it was necessary for police to shoot a man who stabbed a mother and her child outside a school last year. Carolann Robillard and her 11-year-old were killed in what Edmonton police called a random attack.

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign
British Columbia's Official Opposition BC United party now says it will run some candidates in the Oct. 19 election, despite suspending its campaign last week to support the B.C. Conservative Party instead. A letter to party members says despite last week's suspension "we intend on running a select number of candidates" in the fall election.

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign

Propeller falls off BC Ferries vessel, spilling 800 litres of oil

Propeller falls off BC Ferries vessel, spilling 800 litres of oil
About 800 litres of light hydraulic oil have spilled into the sea from a BC Ferries vessel after one of its propellers fell off this week. BC Ferries says the type of oil leaked "disperses quickly in the marine environment" and no oil sheens have been detected as a result of the spill from the 60-year-old Queen of New Westminster.

Propeller falls off BC Ferries vessel, spilling 800 litres of oil

Girl, 15, lit on fire at Saskatoon high school, staff injured trying to help

Girl, 15, lit on fire at Saskatoon high school, staff injured trying to help
A 15-year-old girl is in hospital with serious injuries after she was lit on fire at a Saskatoon high school, police said Thursday. Sgt. Ken Kane told reporters that a school resource officer, who was at Evan Hardy Collegiate for a different matter, apprehended a 14-year-old girl as a suspect.

Girl, 15, lit on fire at Saskatoon high school, staff injured trying to help

Drones helped in big Vancouver arrest. It's time for policy scrutiny, researchers say

Drones helped in big Vancouver arrest. It's time for policy scrutiny, researchers say
Canadian police forces have been using drones for many years, but scrutiny of their use is lacking, especially as the technology has evolved, privacy and surveillance researchers say.  Their concerns come after Vancouver's Chief Const. Adam Palmer revealed that investigators deployed drones to locate a suspect in a pair of gruesome stranger attacks in the city's downtown on Wednesday, that left one man dead and another with a severed hand.

Drones helped in big Vancouver arrest. It's time for policy scrutiny, researchers say

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say
Public health agencies are encouraging people who received a first dose of mpox vaccine over the last two years to make sure they get a second dose. Many people at risk for mpox exposure got vaccinated in Canada beginning in spring 2022, when a global outbreak of the virus was declared, Canada's chief public health officer said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say