Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered
Calgary emergency officials say they’re sending crews to help the Jasper wildfire while explaining why they briefly shuttered their evacuation centre just as the fire roared into the townsite and started burning structures. Sue Henry, the head of Calgary’s emergency services, said 19 Calgary crews were headed north to the fire scene.

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study
A study of British Columbia's deadly heat dome in 2021 says the risk factor most strongly associated with dying during those sweltering days was whether that person was receiving income assistance.

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Suspect arrested in sexual assault
Police in Victoria say they've arrested a suspect who they believe violently sexually assaulted a woman last week. Victoria police say a woman was threatened and assaulted in the early morning hours of July 18th after an unknown man took her to an area near a piece of public art known as the Commerce Canoe before fleeing. 

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog
A Manitoba RCMP officer has been charged after a woman complained she was assaulted during a domestic call last year. Police were called to a home in The Pas in September after receiving reports of a dispute between two women. 

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire
Ramanath Das said he is aware that the eco-village he and his family are building in Venables Valley, B.C., may no longer exist when they return after being evacuated due to an encroaching wildfire. “We’re ready to go back and everything is as it was with ash all over it, or nothing’s there," said Das, who is the general manager of Vedic Eco Village.

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago
The federal government has reached a $147-million settlement with a First Nation in British Columbia over a dispute about water rights that dates back to the late 1800s. Members of the Esk'etemc First Nation in the Cariboo region began hand digging an irrigation ditch to their reserve with picks and shovels in the 1890s, but the government forced them to stop just a kilometre from their goal to access water for their reserve. 

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago