Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous
A 37-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a 66-year-old woman in Sicamous.  R-C-M-P say paramedics tried to save Jo Ann Jackson last week when she was found unresponsive in the driveway of a mobile home park, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous

Burnaby RCMP seize catalytic converters

Burnaby RCMP seize catalytic converters
Mounties in Burnaby have seized 439 catalytic converters in a lengthy theft and trafficking investigation. R-C-M-P say they found the converters after conducting search warrants at four locations linked to one man who allegedly ran a mobile metal recycling business.

Burnaby RCMP seize catalytic converters

Test water flowing through repaired Calgary pipe, full service days away

Test water flowing through repaired Calgary pipe, full service days away
Water is flowing again in a massive Calgary pipe — test water. Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek says work has started to fill the repaired pipe with water for testing.

Test water flowing through repaired Calgary pipe, full service days away

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall
Several federal cabinet ministers say they are all ears to what disgruntled voters are saying in the aftermath of a Toronto byelection defeat in what was considered a safe Liberal riding. Although the ministers expressed openness to hearing out Canadians  turned off by the Liberals and Justin Trudeau, none could say how their team plans to address those concerns.

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson
Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect.  The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

101 drownings last year in BC

101 drownings last year in BC
New statistics from the B-C Coroners Service say 101 people accidentally drowned in the province last year, many of them in the summer months.  Acting chief coroner John McNamee says their report looked at a decade of drownings, and May through August were the most fatal months. 

101 drownings last year in BC