Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted
The Metro Vancouver Regional District says a fire at a trestle bridge in Richmond, B.C., has been extinguished after sending up huge plumes of smoke that prompted an air quality bulletin for the region. The district says in an update on the social media platform X that air quality has now improved and it will issue an update to end the bulletin.

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix
Calgary's mayor is sticking to opening day of the Stampede as a best-case scenario for the full resumption of water services in the city. But Jyoti Gondek warns that unforeseen problems could delay repairs to a catastrophic water main break that has forced citywide use restrictions for more than two weeks

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year
Families Minister Jenna Sudds says the government hopes to see kids getting meals from the national school food program before the end of the next school year, but it will take time for organizations to scale up their operations.  The Liberals set aside $1 billion over five years for the program, which they promised during the 2021 election campaign.

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says
The father of a homicide victim in Surrey says she was killed in a home invasion on the weekend. The Integrated Homicide Investigation team says 30-year-old Tori Dunn died after being found with life-threatening injuries at a home in the Port Kells area of Surrey late Sunday night.

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

Man charged in assault

Man charged in assault
Surrey police say a 41-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault in connection to a stabbing last month. R-C-M-P say a woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries on May 26th.

Man charged in assault

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives
BC United Leader Kevin Falcon has lost another member of his election team to British Columbia's Conservative Party. Business leader and former District of Sechelt councillor Chris Moore announced he will no longer represent BC United in the October provincial election in the Powell River-Sunshine Coast riding and will instead run as a candidate for Leader John Rustad's Conservatives.

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives