Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral
The president of the University of British Columbia has told pro-Palestinian protesters that the school must remain neutral on the Gaza conflict. Benoit-Antoine Bacon says in response to demands by the organizers of a protest encampment on the Vancouver campus that professors and students hold a broad range of opinions and the university can't "presume to speak for everyone."

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts
A hunter in southeastern British Columbia managed to shoot a grizzly bear that attacked him on Thursday and left him with broken bones and cuts. RCMP in Elk Valley, near Fernie, say the 36-year-old man from nearby Sparwood was out with his father when he was attacked by an adult grizzly.

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts

No jail time for ex security guard

No jail time for ex security guard
A former security guard at a university in Langley, B-C, who was convicted of manslaughter will not be going to prison. The B-C Supreme Court found the 55-year-old man guilty in the 2020 incident at Trinity Western University that resulted in the death of a 30-year-old.

No jail time for ex security guard

B.C. boaters ordered to remove drainage plugs to prevent spread of whirling disease

B.C. boaters ordered to remove drainage plugs to prevent spread of whirling disease
British Columbia's chief veterinarian has issued an order making it illegal to transport boats or other watercraft without removing the drain plug to prevent the spread of whirling disease. The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says the order takes effect on Friday and is also intended to keep invasive mussels out of B.C. waterways.

B.C. boaters ordered to remove drainage plugs to prevent spread of whirling disease

Mother, stepfather get 15 years for manslaughter in death of B.C. boy Dontay Lucas, 6

Mother, stepfather get 15 years for manslaughter in death of B.C. boy Dontay Lucas, 6
The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have been sentenced to 15 years each in prison by a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Mitchell Frank and Rykel Frank stood in shackles in a court in Port Alberni as they were sentenced for the death of the boy who was found in medical distress inside the home he shared with his mother in March 2018.   

Mother, stepfather get 15 years for manslaughter in death of B.C. boy Dontay Lucas, 6

Rain brings 'excellent' conditions for crews battling northern B.C. wildfires

Rain brings 'excellent' conditions for crews battling northern B.C. wildfires
A rainy day in and around Fort Nelson, B.C., was what fire crews were hoping for as they continue to battle a wildfire burning 2.5 kilometres outside the town. Evan Peck with the BC Wildfire Service said a low-pressure system brought much-needed rain over the last two days, along with cooler temperatures and lower humidity, making for "excellent" conditions for fire suppression efforts.

Rain brings 'excellent' conditions for crews battling northern B.C. wildfires