Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre targets illicit drugs in B.C. hospitals

Poilievre targets illicit drugs in B.C. hospitals
Federal Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre says the Conservatives will put forward legislation that would forbid Ottawa from "ever" granting provinces exemptions to allow illicit drug use in hospitals. Poilievre made the announcement in Vancouver on Tuesday, saying the Conservatives will introduce a private member's bill in Parliament to end the federal health minister's power to grant exemptions that would allow the use of illicit drugs in a hospital setting.

Poilievre targets illicit drugs in B.C. hospitals

OPINION: Time For A Diverse Lieutenant-Governor For BC As The Term Comes To An End For Janet Austin

OPINION: Time For A Diverse Lieutenant-Governor For BC As The Term Comes To An End For Janet Austin
In this Op-Ed Senior Reporter with DESIBUZZCanada, PD Raj explores the dialogue of representation and inclusivity within the political arena as current Lieutenant-Governor Janet Austin's term comes to an end. 

OPINION: Time For A Diverse Lieutenant-Governor For BC As The Term Comes To An End For Janet Austin

Wildfire growth prompts another evacuation order in northeastern B.C.

Wildfire growth prompts another evacuation order in northeastern B.C.
A wildfire just outside the community of Fort Nelson has grown as residents in British Columbia's northeast receive more evacuation orders. An updated estimate from the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze spans 84 square kilometres, a significant increase since Monday, when it was mapped at about 53 square kilometres in size.

Wildfire growth prompts another evacuation order in northeastern B.C.

Canadian short story legend, Nobel Prize winner Alice Munro has died

Canadian short story legend, Nobel Prize winner Alice Munro has died
Short story legend Alice Munro, whose intricate tales depicting small-town southwestern Ontario earned her an international fanbase and the Nobel Prize in literature, has died at age 92. Penguin Random House Canada said Tuesday that Munro died Monday in her home in Port Hope, Ont.

Canadian short story legend, Nobel Prize winner Alice Munro has died

B.C. moves to cap rent hikes for those in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

B.C. moves to cap rent hikes for those in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside
The B.C. government has introduced legislation that would allow the City of Vancouver to limit rent increases for new tenants in its poorest neighbourhood, the Downtown Eastside. The rent cap is for those living in single-room occupancy buildings where the government says rents have increased from $800 a month to as high as $1,950 a month. 

B.C. moves to cap rent hikes for those in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

B.C. moves to prevent offender name changes after child killer legally gets new name

B.C. moves to prevent offender name changes after child killer legally gets new name
Offenders in British Columbia convicted of serious Criminal Code offences will no longer be permitted to legally change their names under legislation introduced today. Health Minister Adrian Dix says the proposed law would amend the province's Name Act to ensure people convicted of dangerous offences can't change their name.

B.C. moves to prevent offender name changes after child killer legally gets new name