Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen is announcing $132 million in aid for people fleeing Sudan's yearlong civil war. The funding includes $100 million in humanitarian aid for Sudanese who have fled to neighbouring countries as well as those stuck in Sudan amid widescale violence.

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events
Eighteen communities, from White Rock to Ucluelet and Sooke to Port McNeill, are holding so-called high ground hikes next week as a way to raise awareness about what to do in the event of a tsunami.  It’s tsunami preparedness week from April 14th to 20th, and many areas of coastal B-C are vulnerable to the massive waves from an earthquake, similar to the 1964 Alaska quake that damaged Port Alberni. 

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital
Mounties in Richmond are seeking witnesses or dash cam footage of a single vehicle crash that sent the driver to hospital in critical condition. Police say shortly before 10:45 p.m. on April 4th a black Mercedes, was travelling southbound on No 6 Road when it left the road, struck an embankment and landed straddling the ditch.

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness
A man who stabbed 79-year-old Eric Kutzner to death in a Nanaimo coffee shop two years ago has been found not criminally responsible on account of a mental disorder.  James Turok was convicted of second-degree murder in a B-C Supreme Court but will instead stay at the provincial forensic psychiatric hospital, Associate Chief Justice Heather Homes has ruled. 

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested following an investigation into alleged drug trafficking at a local residence.  Mounties say the man was seen leaving his home in a stolen vehicle during an investigation last week and officers later arrested the driver, who was identified as 42-year-old James Alan Webb.

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support
The New Democrats are facing political headwinds when it comes to carbon pricing, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged Friday, but he said he doesn't understand why they're pulling back their support. The NDP have long been proponents of the climate policy, and even campaigned on it in the 2019 election. 

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support