Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam
Police in Coquitlam say they have arrested a man they believe was involved in a series of alleged sexual assaults in the Metro Vancouver city. They say police are investigating a total of nine reports of the suspect inappropriately touching women while they were walking.

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Major drug bust in Campbell River

Major drug bust in Campbell River
Mounties in Campbell River say a 24-year-old man is facing possible charges after a search warrant turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs last month. They say officers seized more than 900 grams of cocaine, 200 grams of fentanyl, 260 hydromorphone pills and 26-thousand dollars in cash during the search.

Major drug bust in Campbell River

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate
British Columbia's seniors advocate says the province is falling behind in meeting the basic needs of its older residents. Seniors Advocate Dan Levitt says in a report that despite some investments in services for seniors, there are troubling statistics surrounding health care, long-term care, home care, housing, transportation and community services.

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms
Prince George R-C-M-P say they have seized drugs and multiple high-power firearms after officers saw a man set a stolen car on fire. The incident happened on November 29th, when police on patrol saw the arson took place.

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department
The Tsilhqot’in National Government in British Columbia says it has formed a "historic partnership" with the federal Fisheries Department to develop a permanent salmon conservation hatchery in its territory. It says the hatchery will be managed by the nation, which is host to three salmon-bearing watersheds: the Chilcotin, the Chilko, and the Taseko rivers.

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes
A Nanaimo man has been taken to hospital after being stabbed with syringes in the bathroom of a local park. Mounties say the 58-year-old man is a City of Nanaimo employee and suffered injuries to his face and abdomen in the attack at about 10 a-m yesterday.

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes