Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jan, 2025 01:41 PM
  • Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Swanson, an anti-poverty activist, says Sim's plans to pause net new supportive housing units in Vancouver and reduce the concentration of social services in the Downtown Eastside are "not compassionate" and are akin to victim blaming.

She says housing is fundamental to health and safety, and with about 3,000 people on the city's supportive housing wait-list, people "will probably die on that wait-list" if no new units are built.

Russell Maynard, who says he has worked in community harm reduction for more than 20 years, says in a post on social media platform X that Sim's plan "is the wrong solution to the right problem."

Sim announced his plan at a forum on Thursday held by the Save Our Streets coalition, a group of businesses expressing concerns over crime and public safety in places such as Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

He said 77 per cent of Metro Vancouver's supportive services were located in Vancouver, which has about 25 per cent of the region's population.

Coun. Peter Meiszner, who is a member of Sim's ABC Vancouver party's majority on council, says on X that "positive change is coming" through the plan, which he calls a "long overdue change of direction in city policy to build a healthier neighbourhood."

Swanson said she wasn't surprised by Sim's announcement, noting the council had already got rid of a number of supportive housing units in the city since coming to power in 2022.

"If there's no new supportive housing, we're going to get more homelessness," she says.

"So he may think that he's integrating Downtown Eastside with the rest of the city by making more people homeless. But those people have to go someplace, and it's not going to benefit anybody to have thousands more people on the streets."

Sim's press secretary, Kalith Nanayakkara, said further details of the plan would be made available closer to the date when Sim presents a motion on the proposal to council.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals
With the Canada Post strike nearing four weeks, the postal service says it doesn't see an end in sight. On Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers sent over its latest list of proposals, which include wage gains and job protections. 

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state
Trump said in a taunting post to Truth Social early Tuesday it was a "pleasure to have dinner" with Trudeau at his Mar-a-Lago estate and that he looks forward to seeing the "governor again soon" to talk tariffs and trade, the "results of which will be truly spectacular for all."

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland is not committing to meeting the $40.1-billion deficit target she set for the government last year.  Freeland said Tuesday she expects the fall economic statement, which she will present on Dec. 16, will show a declining debt-to-GDP ratio.

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan did not attend the Taylor Swift concert in Vancouver Saturday, despite earlier defending his decision to accept the tickets. Global News first reported that Sajjan would be attending the concert with his daughter, on the taxpayer's dime as a guest of a provincial Crown corporation that owns BC Place. 

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission
Authorities in New York state say the search for a 22-year-old Quebec hiker who went missing in the Adirondacks more than a week ago is now likely a recovery mission. The New York State Forest Rangers say heavy snow and cold temperatures have made the search "essentially impossible," and future efforts will depend on the weather. 

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear
A statement from the service says 1,925 people have died in overdoses this year, down nine per cent from the first 10 months of 2023.  The 155 people who died from drug poisoning in October is also a drop from the 183 people who died in September.

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear