Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 04:28 PM
  • David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he believes the recent tariff friction with the United States will fundamentally change the way Canadians approach trade with their southern neighbours, and things "will never go back to the way that we were before."

Eby says Canadians were "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House" and "took our relationship for granted," adding that he believes the province and the country will emerge stronger from this experience because "the world needs what we have."

The premier made the comments before he flew from Vancouver to Washington, D.C., where he will be joined by other provincial leaders to meet with U.S. lawmakers about trade and tariffs as the threat of a steep levy on more Canadian goods looms.

The trip comes just after U.S. President Donald Trump slapped 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum.

Previously, Eby had called the U.S. threat of tariffs on Canadian goods a "declaration of economic war against a trusted ally and friend" and "a complete betrayal" of the historic bond between Canada and the United States.

The premiers' trip, which will include meeting with business and labour leaders this week, comes after Trump's threat of tariffs was delayed until at least March 4.

When asked if the premiers will have access to "decision makers who are the closest to the president," Eby says they are working to set up those meetings but may not get confirmation until "the day before or the day of" the meeting, if it were to happen.

"We are trying hard to get those meetings," he says. "And I can assure you that we do have meetings set up with a number of senior decision makers in (U.S.) government."

One group of politicians the Canadian premiers will seek to actively engage with will be those from Trump's Republican party, Eby adds.

"This is a Republican-led initiative against Canada," Eby says of the tariff threats. "It's a group we need to talk to. Obviously, we need to help them understand the importance of our tightly linked economies, and that while they may think they're trying to get something from Canada, it's just mutually assured damage.

"It's a war where the shrapnel goes in all directions."

Eby also says his government will ensure that B.C. businesses can diversify and that interprovincial trade barriers can be brought down.

Since the tariff threat was made, the B.C. government announced it will fast track 18 critical mineral and energy projects, set up a trade and economic security task force and a new cabinet committee "war room" to co-ordinate ways to protect workers, businesses and economy.

"I am convinced, because the world needs what we have, that we're going to come out the other side of this stronger, more independent, more resilient and more prosperous," Eby says of the tariff tensions. "But in the meantime, a bunch of unnecessary damage will be done."

Ravi Kahlon, the government minister appointed to co-ordinate the tariff threat, said Monday that the government has been working with aluminum maker Rio Tinto and others on how to move their products to other markets away from the United States.

He said that Eby recently met with leaders at Rio Tinto and the company had confidence that it could find fresh markets for its aluminum produced at the Kitimat facility.

Though B.C. has a more diversified economy than other provinces, there are concerns that if the tariffs are realized, it will cause significant job loss and throw the economy into a recession.

When the United States was initially expected to implement the hefty tariffs on Feb. 1, Eby directed the BC Liquor Distribution Branch to stop buying American liquor from "red states" and Crown corporations to stop buying U.S. goods and services.

The provincial retaliation was paused after the one-month reprieve was negotiated at the federal level.

The tariff threats have caused a wave of retail patriotism across the country as governments encourage residents to buy Canadian-made goods.

MORE National ARTICLES

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children
A final report into missing children and unmarked graves at residential schools is calling on the federal government to create an Indigenous-led national commission with a 20-year mandate to investigate missing and disappeared Indigenous children. It's also calling on Canada to refer itself to the International Criminal Court for investigation.

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature
British Columbia Premier David Eby has scheduled a meeting with the B.C. Greens as he prepares to form government, a day after securing the barest of majorities in a legislature where every vote will count. Eby told reporters Tuesday that he's open to working with opposition-in-waiting B.C. Conservatives — so long as they respect the "bright line" of rejecting hate, division and conspiracy.

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches
The federal privacy watchdog has opened an investigation into cyberattacks on the Canada Revenue Agency that led to more than 30,000 privacy breaches dating back to 2020.  In a news release, the office of privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says the federal revenue agency reported the breaches in May of this year.

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials
The Washington Post first reported that Canadian officials alleged Indian Home Affairs Minister Amit Shah was behind a campaign of violence and intimidation targeting Sikh separatists in Canada. Morrison told MPs at the national security committee Tuesday that he was the one who confirmed Shah's name to that newspaper.

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has congratulated Premier Scott Moe after the Saskatchewan Party won a fifth-straight majority in the provincial election. Trudeau says he wants to work with Moe to provide results for Saskatchewan residents, including creating jobs, expanding child care and improving health care. 

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.
As Halloween approaches, police on Vancouver Island are urging the public to use caution after officers seized more than 120,000 cannabis-laced edibles, including chocolate and candies with packaging that mimics recognizable treats.

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.