Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 04:28 PM
  • David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he believes the recent tariff friction with the United States will fundamentally change the way Canadians approach trade with their southern neighbours, and things "will never go back to the way that we were before."

Eby says Canadians were "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House" and "took our relationship for granted," adding that he believes the province and the country will emerge stronger from this experience because "the world needs what we have."

The premier made the comments before he flew from Vancouver to Washington, D.C., where he will be joined by other provincial leaders to meet with U.S. lawmakers about trade and tariffs as the threat of a steep levy on more Canadian goods looms.

The trip comes just after U.S. President Donald Trump slapped 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum.

Previously, Eby had called the U.S. threat of tariffs on Canadian goods a "declaration of economic war against a trusted ally and friend" and "a complete betrayal" of the historic bond between Canada and the United States.

The premiers' trip, which will include meeting with business and labour leaders this week, comes after Trump's threat of tariffs was delayed until at least March 4.

When asked if the premiers will have access to "decision makers who are the closest to the president," Eby says they are working to set up those meetings but may not get confirmation until "the day before or the day of" the meeting, if it were to happen.

"We are trying hard to get those meetings," he says. "And I can assure you that we do have meetings set up with a number of senior decision makers in (U.S.) government."

One group of politicians the Canadian premiers will seek to actively engage with will be those from Trump's Republican party, Eby adds.

"This is a Republican-led initiative against Canada," Eby says of the tariff threats. "It's a group we need to talk to. Obviously, we need to help them understand the importance of our tightly linked economies, and that while they may think they're trying to get something from Canada, it's just mutually assured damage.

"It's a war where the shrapnel goes in all directions."

Eby also says his government will ensure that B.C. businesses can diversify and that interprovincial trade barriers can be brought down.

Since the tariff threat was made, the B.C. government announced it will fast track 18 critical mineral and energy projects, set up a trade and economic security task force and a new cabinet committee "war room" to co-ordinate ways to protect workers, businesses and economy.

"I am convinced, because the world needs what we have, that we're going to come out the other side of this stronger, more independent, more resilient and more prosperous," Eby says of the tariff tensions. "But in the meantime, a bunch of unnecessary damage will be done."

Ravi Kahlon, the government minister appointed to co-ordinate the tariff threat, said Monday that the government has been working with aluminum maker Rio Tinto and others on how to move their products to other markets away from the United States.

He said that Eby recently met with leaders at Rio Tinto and the company had confidence that it could find fresh markets for its aluminum produced at the Kitimat facility.

Though B.C. has a more diversified economy than other provinces, there are concerns that if the tariffs are realized, it will cause significant job loss and throw the economy into a recession.

When the United States was initially expected to implement the hefty tariffs on Feb. 1, Eby directed the BC Liquor Distribution Branch to stop buying American liquor from "red states" and Crown corporations to stop buying U.S. goods and services.

The provincial retaliation was paused after the one-month reprieve was negotiated at the federal level.

The tariff threats have caused a wave of retail patriotism across the country as governments encourage residents to buy Canadian-made goods.

MORE National ARTICLES

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults
The incident on Sunday is captured on video, showing a man in a grey suit berating supporters of Richmond Centre candidate Wendy Yuan while they were waving signs at an intersection. The man is seen swearing at the group and telling them to "take down" the Chinese Communist Party instead of "coming over here on your … little boats."

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister
Canada's border guards have recovered more stolen vehicles at railyards and ports so far this year than in all of 2023.  Transport Minister Anita Anand said the Canada Border Services Agency has recovered 1,945 stolen vehicles, with the majority found in Quebec.

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic
The Canada Revenue Agency says it has terminated 330 employees for inappropriately receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit during the pandemic, giving its final update on an internal review.

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating
Police say a man has been charged with aggravated assault and remains in custody after an unprovoked attack on a woman who was visiting Vancouver.  Vancouver police say the 35-year-old victim was walking near the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday when she was assaulted.

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating

Focus on vulnerable communities, improve data sharing before next pandemic: report

Focus on vulnerable communities, improve data sharing before next pandemic: report
An expert panel of doctors and researchers say Canada needs to learn from the COVID-19 pandemic and take action before the next health emergency strikes.  One of the six experts, Dr. Fahad Razak, says most scientists believe it's "only a matter of time" before another global health crisis hits.

Focus on vulnerable communities, improve data sharing before next pandemic: report

Statistics Canada says levels of food insecurity rose in 2022

Statistics Canada says levels of food insecurity rose in 2022
Statistics Canada says the level of food insecurity increased in 2022 as inflation hit peak levels. In a report using data from the Canadian community health survey, the agency says 15.6 per cent of households experienced some level of food insecurity in 2022 after being relatively stable from 2017 to 2021.

Statistics Canada says levels of food insecurity rose in 2022