Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 04:28 PM
  • David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he believes the recent tariff friction with the United States will fundamentally change the way Canadians approach trade with their southern neighbours, and things "will never go back to the way that we were before."

Eby says Canadians were "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House" and "took our relationship for granted," adding that he believes the province and the country will emerge stronger from this experience because "the world needs what we have."

The premier made the comments before he flew from Vancouver to Washington, D.C., where he will be joined by other provincial leaders to meet with U.S. lawmakers about trade and tariffs as the threat of a steep levy on more Canadian goods looms.

The trip comes just after U.S. President Donald Trump slapped 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum.

Previously, Eby had called the U.S. threat of tariffs on Canadian goods a "declaration of economic war against a trusted ally and friend" and "a complete betrayal" of the historic bond between Canada and the United States.

The premiers' trip, which will include meeting with business and labour leaders this week, comes after Trump's threat of tariffs was delayed until at least March 4.

When asked if the premiers will have access to "decision makers who are the closest to the president," Eby says they are working to set up those meetings but may not get confirmation until "the day before or the day of" the meeting, if it were to happen.

"We are trying hard to get those meetings," he says. "And I can assure you that we do have meetings set up with a number of senior decision makers in (U.S.) government."

One group of politicians the Canadian premiers will seek to actively engage with will be those from Trump's Republican party, Eby adds.

"This is a Republican-led initiative against Canada," Eby says of the tariff threats. "It's a group we need to talk to. Obviously, we need to help them understand the importance of our tightly linked economies, and that while they may think they're trying to get something from Canada, it's just mutually assured damage.

"It's a war where the shrapnel goes in all directions."

Eby also says his government will ensure that B.C. businesses can diversify and that interprovincial trade barriers can be brought down.

Since the tariff threat was made, the B.C. government announced it will fast track 18 critical mineral and energy projects, set up a trade and economic security task force and a new cabinet committee "war room" to co-ordinate ways to protect workers, businesses and economy.

"I am convinced, because the world needs what we have, that we're going to come out the other side of this stronger, more independent, more resilient and more prosperous," Eby says of the tariff tensions. "But in the meantime, a bunch of unnecessary damage will be done."

Ravi Kahlon, the government minister appointed to co-ordinate the tariff threat, said Monday that the government has been working with aluminum maker Rio Tinto and others on how to move their products to other markets away from the United States.

He said that Eby recently met with leaders at Rio Tinto and the company had confidence that it could find fresh markets for its aluminum produced at the Kitimat facility.

Though B.C. has a more diversified economy than other provinces, there are concerns that if the tariffs are realized, it will cause significant job loss and throw the economy into a recession.

When the United States was initially expected to implement the hefty tariffs on Feb. 1, Eby directed the BC Liquor Distribution Branch to stop buying American liquor from "red states" and Crown corporations to stop buying U.S. goods and services.

The provincial retaliation was paused after the one-month reprieve was negotiated at the federal level.

The tariff threats have caused a wave of retail patriotism across the country as governments encourage residents to buy Canadian-made goods.

MORE National ARTICLES

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border
Mounties in Manitoba say they have charged a man with human smuggling and arrested six others near the Canada-United States border. RCMP say investigators became aware of an incursion happening near Emerson, Man., on the night of Sept. 28.

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canadians in Florida should leave and people planning to travel there should postpone as the state braces for the impact of Hurricane Milton. The storm was downgraded this morning to a Category 4 but is expected to bring deadly storm surge, rain and winds.

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm

Canada adds $15M to aid for Lebanon and will match $6M in donations

Canada adds $15M to aid for Lebanon and will match $6M in donations
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen says the new money will help Canadian and international aid groups provide food, water, emergency health care and other assistance in Lebanon, though the exact allocations are yet to be determined.

Canada adds $15M to aid for Lebanon and will match $6M in donations

Spike in fines coming prior to Halloween for City of Surrey

Spike in fines coming prior to Halloween for City of Surrey
The City of Surrey is increasing its fines ahead of Halloween for those who are caught selling or using fireworks without a permit. It says the minimum penalty for a violation has jumped from 100 to 400 dollars and the maximum has increased from five thousand to 50-thousand dollars. 

Spike in fines coming prior to Halloween for City of Surrey

Targeted shooting in Burnaby

Targeted shooting in Burnaby
Police in Burnaby say they're investigating a shooting that injured a man. Mounties say it happened last night when they were called to a report of a possible shooting in north Burnaby.

Targeted shooting in Burnaby

Motorcyclist dies in crash

Motorcyclist dies in crash
A motorcycle rider is dead after a crash in West Vancouver. Police say it happened on a winding stretch of Marine Drive last night, while three motorcyclists were riding together.

Motorcyclist dies in crash