Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Decision On Allan Schoenborn'S Request For Limited Release Not Immediately Due

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2019 08:54 PM

    COQUITLAM, B.C. — The lawyer for the man who killed his three children and was found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder says a BC Review Board will need at least a month to decide the latest request for temporary absences from a psychiatric facility.

     

    Rishi Gill says Allan Schoenborn was before the review board Thursday requesting limited, staff-supported community outings.


    Schoenborn has been held at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Coquitlam, B.C., since 2010, after being convicted of killing his 10-year-old daughter and two sons, aged eight and five, in April 2008.


    A B.C. Supreme Court trial heard Schoenborn believed he was saving them from a life of sexual and physical abuse.


    Since then, a B.C. Supreme Court judge has ruled against an application to have Schoenborn declared a dangerous offender.


    In 2015, the review board gave the psychiatric hospital the discretion to grant Schoenborn escorted outings.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Sex Discrimination Felt Early Despite Equality Beliefs, Canadian Teens Say

    Sex Discrimination Felt Early Despite Equality Beliefs, Canadian Teens Say
    TORONTO — Canadian teenagers begin noticing gender-based inequality early on, with girls feeling the effects especially acutely in sports and in cyberspace, a new survey suggests.

    Sex Discrimination Felt Early Despite Equality Beliefs, Canadian Teens Say

    Family Offers $10M Reward For Information Leading To Arrest In Sherman Deaths

    Brian Greenspan outlined a litany of alleged errors and lapses in the police investigation of what detectives have described as a targeted double homicide.

    Family Offers $10M Reward For Information Leading To Arrest In Sherman Deaths

    Jagmeet Singh's New Chief Of Staff Michael Balagus Criticized In Past For Handling Of Harassment

    OTTAWA — NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has hired an interim chief of staff whose previous management of several sexual harassment cases in Manitoba has been criticized.

    Jagmeet Singh's New Chief Of Staff Michael Balagus Criticized In Past For Handling Of Harassment

    Higher Fines And More Rules Coming For B.C.'s Party Bus Industry: Ministry

    Higher Fines And More Rules Coming For B.C.'s Party Bus Industry: Ministry
    VICTORIA — The British Columbia government is boosting fines for party buses that don't meet inspection standards and is considering other measures to make the industry safer, especially for minors.

    Higher Fines And More Rules Coming For B.C.'s Party Bus Industry: Ministry

    Two Youth In Surrey, B.C., Sent To Hospital With Stab Injuries

    Two Youth In Surrey, B.C., Sent To Hospital With Stab Injuries
      RCMP is investigating an assault with a weapon which occurred in the parking lot of a convenience store on Wednesday morning.

    Two Youth In Surrey, B.C., Sent To Hospital With Stab Injuries

    Rituraj Kaur Grewal Charged In Surrey Crash That Killed 17-Year-Old Soccer Captain Travis Selje

    Police say Rituraj Kaur Grewal, who was 22 at the time of the May 2017 collisions, faces charges of criminal negligence causing death, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and leaving the scene of a crash.

    Rituraj Kaur Grewal Charged In Surrey Crash That Killed 17-Year-Old Soccer Captain Travis Selje