Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian Ukrainian community 'shocked' and 'angry' at Zelenskyy's treatment

Canadian Ukrainian community 'shocked' and 'angry' at Zelenskyy's treatment
Trump berated Zelenskyy for being “disrespectful” in an Oval Office meeting, then abruptly called off the signing of a minerals deal that Trump said would have moved Ukraine closer to ending its war with Russia.

Canadian Ukrainian community 'shocked' and 'angry' at Zelenskyy's treatment

Province spent more promoting cost-savings than advertising vaccines, documents show

Province spent more promoting cost-savings than advertising vaccines, documents show
The Manitoba government has spent or budgeted more than $340,000 for advertising campaigns promoting its fuel tax and electricity savings — more than it spent last year on ads to persuade people to get vaccinated against the flu and COVID-19, suggest government documents. And with flu numbers continuing to rise this winter, and vaccination rates trending lower, there are calls for more spending on a vaccination campaign.

Province spent more promoting cost-savings than advertising vaccines, documents show

Six people were displaced and one cat has been saved following house fire in Surrey

Six people were displaced and one cat has been saved following house fire in Surrey
Six people have been displaced and one cat has been rescued in Surrey, B.C., on Sunday morning after a home was destroyed by fire. Surrey Fire Service assistant chief Mike McNamara says they received a call about a house fire early in the morning on the corner of Fraser Highway and 168 Street in the city. 

Six people were displaced and one cat has been saved following house fire in Surrey

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians
An earthquake shook some British Columbia residents awake early Monday, marking the latest in a series of tremors felt in parts of the province. Among them was Victoria resident Bailey Beauchemin, who says she was startled and "jumped out of bed" when the quake happened at around 5 a.m. 

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat
British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump. Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight
Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly says there's a good chance that Russia could re-invade Ukraine if there are no security guarantees in a peace deal. Her statement comes after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and U.S. President Donald Trump engaged in a shocking verbal brawl in the White House today.

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight