Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Old-growth logging was 'goal' of Interfor: B.C. Forest Appeals Commission decision

Old-growth logging was 'goal' of Interfor: B.C. Forest Appeals Commission decision
The commission issued the decision last week, upholding the finding that Interfor committed eight contraventions of the Forest and Range Practices Act with the logging between 2012 and 2016 in the Arrow Lakes area of southeastern B.C. The timber had a market value of about $4.4 million, and the estimated economic benefit was more than $1.8 million after subtracting the company's costs, it said.

Old-growth logging was 'goal' of Interfor: B.C. Forest Appeals Commission decision

Dr. Monty Ghosh: Shaping New Pathways in Addiction and Homelessness Care  

Dr. Monty Ghosh: Shaping New Pathways in Addiction and Homelessness Care  
Another catalytic project led by Dr. Ghosh is the National Overdose Response Service (NORS), a lifeline for individuals using substances alone. What began as an idea inspired by a patient’s innovative approach to virtual support has blossomed into a nationwide initiative. The emergency line aims to provide immediate support to people and ensure that they aren't using drugs alone.  

Dr. Monty Ghosh: Shaping New Pathways in Addiction and Homelessness Care  

Canadian Armed Forces says it's on track to meet this year's recruitment goal

Canadian Armed Forces says it's on track to meet this year's recruitment goal
More Canadians have expressed an interest in joining the military since U.S. President Donald Trump took office on Jan. 20 — but the Canadian Armed Forces isn't attributing that spike to Trump and his talk of annexing Canada.

Canadian Armed Forces says it's on track to meet this year's recruitment goal

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight
Health authorities in British Columbia have confirmed a second case of measles in the Lower Mainland, this time in the Vancouver Coastal Health region. Vancouver Coastal Health says in a release that the infected person travelled to Southeast Asia in the same party as a Fraser Health region resident who tested positive earlier this month.

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province
British Columbia has launched a new $10 million fund to help tree fruit farmers facing proposed U.S. tariffs on the heels of years of devastatingly low crop yields. A statement from the Ministry of Agriculture says the money will be handed out as one-time payments to farmers and can be used to help with needs like tools, training, capital for farm improvement, farm debt repayment and farm wages.

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores
Health Canada is warning people in at least three provinces against using unauthorized sexual enhancement products that may pose serious health risks.  The agency says it has seized various products from stores in New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario that have been found to contain "dangerous ingredients."

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores