Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Drug seizure at a Kamloops parking lot

Drug seizure at a Kamloops parking lot
Police in Kamloops say paper license plates led to officers finding 100 grams of suspected illegal drugs in a a plaza parking lot. R-C-M-P say officers were on a separate call for service when they spotted a suspicious license plate on a Chrysler 300 sedan.

Drug seizure at a Kamloops parking lot

Alberta cabinet ministers to attend U.S. prayer breakfast in Washington

Alberta cabinet ministers to attend U.S. prayer breakfast in Washington
The Alberta government is sending a delegation to the U.S. National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C. Affordability and Utilities Minister Nathan Neudorf, Health Minister Adriana LaGrange and Mental Health and Addiction Minister Dan Williams, along with three staff , are scheduled to attend the event next Thursday.

Alberta cabinet ministers to attend U.S. prayer breakfast in Washington

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking
The British Columbia government has approved a legal order to extend temporary protections to an old-growth forest on Vancouver Island even as the minister of forests acknowledged that the RCMP are investigating reports of tree spiking in the area. Ravi Parmar said he was informed of the reports last week, calling the news of such vandalism "incredibly alarming."

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post
British Columbia's lieutenant-governor is leaving office after seven years on the job, with Premier David Eby telling her farewell ceremony that her focus on reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples was among her key contributions. Janet Austin's work during her tenure advanced reconciliation in the province, Eby told the ceremony at the legislature in Victoria on Wednesday.

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast
Environment Canada says wintry conditions are expected along British Columbia's south coast this week. It says a low pressure system is making its way toward the coast, bringing steady precipitation starting Thursday afternoon. 

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning
During Wednesday's Senate hearing on his nomination to lead the U.S. Department of Commerce, billionaire financier Howard Lutnick said the plan to impose duties on Canada and Mexico is distinct from Trump's long-term tariff plans.

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning