Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise
The Quebec government says it is worried about migrants crossing illegally into the United States from Canada, and is calling on the RCMP to deploy the necessary resources at the border. François Bonnardel, Quebec's public security minister, made the comments today in the provincial capital, one week before the inauguration of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says
The actual number of Ontario jobs affected by the 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that Trump has signalled are coming will depend on what sectors are targeted, Ford said, but the ministries have told him it could be between 450,000 to 500,000.

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership
In a statement to her supporters, Clark said that her French skills are not developed enough and that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's decision last week to step aside and trigger a short leadership race "did not leave enough time" for the party to renew itself and grow.

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver
R-C-M-P in North Vancouver say officers have arrested a man in connection with several random assaults and arson. Police say the man assaulted two people randomly on Christmas Day, and later set fire to the front door of an apartment building unit on December 29th. 

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money
The federal government has paused an incentive program that offered Canadians rebates of up to $5,000 when buying or leasing electric vehicles. In an update on its website, Transport Canada says the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles (iZEV) Program has been paused as "funds have been fully committed."

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money

Environmentalists claim 'setback' for species protection in B.C. port expansion case

Environmentalists claim 'setback' for species protection in B.C. port expansion case
The David Suzuki Foundation, the Georgia Strait Alliance, the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and the Western Canada Wilderness Committee filed a legal challenge last June against the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 project in Delta, B.C.

Environmentalists claim 'setback' for species protection in B.C. port expansion case