Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility
British Columbia's election agency is reviewing a complaint of irregularities in a riding where a narrow NDP victory in last October's election gave the party a one-seat majority, with Conservative Leader John Rustad highlighting allegations related to improper mail-in voting at an addiction recovery facility.

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership
Ontario MP Chandra Arya is the second Liberal to announce he wants to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as leader of the Liberal party. Arya posted on social media Thursday morning he wants to campaign on running a "small, more efficient government" and on offering "bold political decisions" to solve the country's problems.

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts
At a meeting in Germany on Thursday of the Ukrainian Defence Contact Group, Defence Minister Bill Blair announced details of $440 million in Canadian funding for Ukraine promised earlier this year.

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires
Pascal Duclos, head pilot for the Quebec government's aerial service, said he spent several hours in the air on Tuesday, dumping dozens of loads of water over fire-devastated areas from his plane.

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER
The Manitoba government says a review is being launched into the death of a man who waited eight hours in a Winnipeg emergency department, but it's not clear how much of the review will be made public. Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara says a critical incident review will look at what happened after the man was brought by ambulance to the Health Sciences Centre early Tuesday morning.

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase
Medical masks are again required in British Columbia health-care facilities as provincial authorities say cases of respiratory illness are rising. A statement from B.C.'s Health Ministry says workers, volunteers and visitors in facilities operated by provincial health authorities must wear masks in areas where patients are receiving care in order to prevent the spread of the flu, RSV and COVID-19.

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase