Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC
Mounties say major crime investigators are looking for witnesses or people who were in the area of the Finlay Community Connector Forest Service Road on Friday evening or Saturday morning. 

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

9-year-old girl dies in car crash
On Friday Calgary Police laid nearly a dozen charges on 30-year-old Duane Arlen John Nepoose, including dangerous driving causing death, three counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and fleeing from police.

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions
The federal government plans to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February. The announcement from Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc comes nearly a week after the premiers called on Justin Trudeau's government to make the move.

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions