Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Man facing charges after food bank truck stolen in Edmonton

Man facing charges after food bank truck stolen in Edmonton
Police say a man is facing charges after a food bank truck was stolen in Edmonton two days before Christmas. The large delivery truck, parked in a loading dock at the Edmonton Food Bank, was being prepared to pick up donations when its GPS tracking device kicked in.

Man facing charges after food bank truck stolen in Edmonton

B.C. 'ammonia' leak spurs evacuations, road closure, turns out to be carbon dioxide

B.C. 'ammonia' leak spurs evacuations, road closure, turns out to be carbon dioxide
A statement from officers in the Metro Vancouver municipality says first responders were called to Clarke Road near St Johns Street, for a report of a flipped commercial vehicle around 10:40 a.m. on Tuesday.

B.C. 'ammonia' leak spurs evacuations, road closure, turns out to be carbon dioxide

IHIT names homicide victim whose body was found in B.C. bush fire

IHIT names homicide victim whose body was found in B.C. bush fire
Police have released the name of a homicide victim whose remains were found during a bush fire in Langley, B.C., last year, as they appeal for witnesses in the case. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Michael Kashani was 36 years old when he died last September, leaving "a void in his family and community."

IHIT names homicide victim whose body was found in B.C. bush fire

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle
A 24-year-old pedestrian struck by a vehicle last week in Burnaby has died. Police say the woman was hit the night of Dec. 17 and taken to hospital in critical condition where she later died.

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster
A forecaster says ripe avalanche conditions are expected to persist across much of British Columbia for the rest of the week. Large swaths of the province, stretching from the coast to the Alberta boundary, are under "considerable" or "moderate" avalanche danger warnings.

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast
The ferry firm said the "severe" forecast meant all sailings between Tsawwassen and Duke Point in Nanaimo on Wednesday had to be axed, while trips between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. were also scrapped.

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast