Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Premiers to meet with Trudeau Wednesday about trade and tariffs, Ford says

Premiers to meet with Trudeau Wednesday about trade and tariffs, Ford says
It comes two weeks after the premiers' last meeting with Justin Trudeau, where they discussed how to respond to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's warning that he will impose a 25 per cent tariff on goods from Canada and Mexico when he takes office next month.

Premiers to meet with Trudeau Wednesday about trade and tariffs, Ford says

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency
New Zealand's border agency says a woman is in custody after arriving on a flight from Vancouver with more than 10 kilograms of methamphetamine wrapped as Christmas presents. The New Zealand Customs Service says in a news release that the woman arrived in Auckland on Sunday, where she was questioned by officers.

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital
Family of an Indigenous man whose braids were cut and thrown away while he was staying in an Edmonton hospital want answers. Eve Adams says this past spring she went to visit her husband Dexter at Edmonton’s Royal Alexandra Hospital only to find the 84-year-old's braids, his eagle feather and some medicine had been put in the garbage can.

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say a 29-year-old man has been charged for allegedly sucker-punching a stranger in the city's downtown last month. It happened on November 28th outside the Hudson's Bay on West Georgia Street.

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior say a crash between an SUV and a snowplow dump truck has killed an eight-year-old boy. A statement from the RCMP's highway patrol division says the collision happened on Highway 3 near Castlegar, B.C., on Saturday around 8 a.m., when road conditions were "cold and icy with freezing rain."

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute
Correctional Service Canada says an inmate at Mission Institute has died while in custody. It says 33-year-old Tyler Damien Van Basten had been serving a nearly four-year sentence that began in January. 

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute