Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Taylor Swift ends her 'beloved Eras Tour' in Vancouver, after glittering global run

Taylor Swift ends her 'beloved Eras Tour' in Vancouver, after glittering global run
The "Cruel Summer" star took to the Eras runway stage for the last time on Sunday night in a sold-out BC Place stadium, telling fans she was getting to "spend the last night of the Eras Tour with 60,000 people in Vancouver," after performing the three-hour-plus show for more than 10 million fans globally.

Taylor Swift ends her 'beloved Eras Tour' in Vancouver, after glittering global run

Family spokesman says slain Edmonton security guard had only been working three days

Family spokesman says slain Edmonton security guard had only been working three days
A spokesman for the family of a security guard who police say was murdered while patrolling an Edmonton apartment building last week says the man had only been on the job for three days. Gagandeep Singh Ghuman says Harshandeep Singh was from Haryana state in northern India. He came to Canada a year and a half ago on a student visa and was enrolled at NorQuest College in the city.

Family spokesman says slain Edmonton security guard had only been working three days

Highway 97 reopen after closure for assault investigation

Highway 97 reopen after closure for assault investigation
RCMP in Kelowna say they have reopened Highway 97 to all traffic after closing it for a stretch due to an assault investigation in the early morning hours on Friday. The route was shut just before 1 p.m., and Mounties issued a statement saying the route had reopened just before 2:15 p.m.

Highway 97 reopen after closure for assault investigation

B.C. minister wants new safety plan for Victoria schools, threatens board removal

B.C. minister wants new safety plan for Victoria schools, threatens board removal
Beare says former Abbotsford, B.C., school superintendent Kevin Godden will help with the changes, and if a plan isn't reached by Jan. 6, she will consider using the School Act to replace the current school board.

B.C. minister wants new safety plan for Victoria schools, threatens board removal

'Duty to learn': Vigils mark 35th anniversary of Polytechnique anti-feminist killings

'Duty to learn': Vigils mark 35th anniversary of Polytechnique anti-feminist killings
Braving a biting winter wind, dignitaries gathered in front of Polytechnique Montréal's main campus on Friday to pay tribute to the 14 women killed at the engineering school in an anti-feminist attack 35 years ago. Among those silently laying white flowers at the foot of a commemorative plaque was Louis Courville, who was the interim director of the school in 1989.

'Duty to learn': Vigils mark 35th anniversary of Polytechnique anti-feminist killings

Ombudsman to investigate delay in sending social assistance cheques amid post strike

Ombudsman to investigate delay in sending social assistance cheques amid post strike
Thousands of social assistance cheques have not been distributed in British Columbia because of the Canada Post strike, prompting an investigation by provincial ombudsperson Jay Chalke. Chalke's office began investigating when he was told by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction that many income and disability assistance cheques weren't delivered. 

Ombudsman to investigate delay in sending social assistance cheques amid post strike