Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers says it's sent another round of counter-proposals to the federal mediator appointed to help it reach a deal with Canada Post as a countrywide strike nears the three-week mark. The union says it's ready to get back to federal mediation, which was put on pause last week as the two sides appeared too far apart to reach an agreement.

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan is defending his decision to accept an invitation from a B.C. Crown corporation to attend a Taylor Swift concert. A spokeswoman for Sajjan says the minister only accepted the tickets after receiving clearance from the ethics commissioner.

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation

Vancouver police say they shot suspect who stabbed a 'number' of people

Vancouver police say they shot suspect who stabbed a 'number' of people
Police in Vancouver say they have shot a suspect who stabbed "a number of people."  They say the violent incident happened in the downtown core, near the city's main library. 

Vancouver police say they shot suspect who stabbed a 'number' of people

Trudeau says Poilievre "not able" to unite to defend Canada against Trump threats

Trudeau says Poilievre
Trudeau said there's a long-standing tradition that when the nation comes under threat in some way, Canadians pull together to defend their country.  But it's "increasingly clear" Poilievre is unable to do that.

Trudeau says Poilievre "not able" to unite to defend Canada against Trump threats

Early-rising Taylor Swift fans wait for hours in Vancouver for concert gear

Early-rising Taylor Swift fans wait for hours in Vancouver for concert gear
Taylor Swift fans were up before the sun in Vancouver to snag some coveted shirts, bags and sweaters to mark her record-breaking Eras Tour. A line of hundreds of fans snaked around Vancouver's downtown pier waiting for the first major in-person sale of official Swift merchandise ahead of three concerts in the city this week.

Early-rising Taylor Swift fans wait for hours in Vancouver for concert gear

Taiwan firm halts plan for $1B battery plant in B.C. that had federal support

Taiwan firm halts plan for $1B battery plant in B.C. that had federal support
A $1-billion lithium-ion battery cell production plant that was planned for Maple Ridge, B.C., has been shelved.  The parent company, Taiwan Cement Corp., announced construction of the Canadian plant with much fanfare last year, with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier David Eby attending and promising a combined $284.5 million in government funding. 

Taiwan firm halts plan for $1B battery plant in B.C. that had federal support