Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter
Global Affairs Canada says it is aware of the death of a Canadian citizen in Russia. But the department won't confirm reports the Canadian was among four foreign fighters who had crossed into Russia to fight for Ukraine.

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she hopes countries from around the world will support a plan to bring back Ukrainian children who have been deported to Russia since the war in Ukraine began nearly three years ago. Joly urged more than 60 delegations attending a ministerial conference in Montreal on Wednesday to make a “strong pledge” to ensure children and other Ukrainian civilians are returned home. 

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign
Longtime Liberal operative Andrew Bevan was named the new national campaign director two weeks ago and made his first presentation to the full caucus during the weekly meeting. The next election must be held by Oct. 20, 2025, but it could come much sooner. The Conservatives and Bloc Québécois have pledged to try to bring down the minority government this fall.

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference
Earlier this month, Trudeau told a public inquiry that he has been given the names of past and present Conservative parliamentarians and candidates who are linked to foreign interference. Trudeau said members from other parties, including the Liberals, have also been flagged.

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman
A British Columbia judge has granted an injunction stopping a woman's medically assisted death, the day before it was scheduled to take place in Vancouver.  The injunction granted on Saturday to the woman's common-law partner prevents Dr. Ellen Wiebe or any other medical professional from helping end the life of the 53-year-old Alberta woman within 30 days.

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.
Federal prosecutors have approved charges against 19 people, eight of them still at large, after an investigation into what police call a violent drug trafficking network in northeastern British Columbia. A statement from B.C.'s Combined Special Forces Enforcement Unit says two of the 11 people who were arrested remain in custody, while the others have been released with conditions as they move through the judicial process.

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.