Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson
A man is lucky to be alive after his vehicle went off the road in Nelson, flipped over and caught fire. Police say the motorist was driving yesterday morning when his vehicle left the roadway and struck a large rock.

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Suspicious package found in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say officers cordoned off an area of downtown yesterday due to a suspicious package. Police say emergency response officers later examined the package and found no explosive device.

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver
North Vancouver RCMP say a man has been seriously injured in a targeted shooting overnight. Police say officers responded to calls of a shooting at 2 a-m and found a man in his 50s in the 700-block of East 29th Street.

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver

Union 'optimistic' ahead of negotiations to end accessible transit strike in B.C.

Union 'optimistic' ahead of negotiations to end accessible transit strike in B.C.
The head of the union for striking HandyDART transit workers in Metro Vancouver says he's cautiously optimistic ahead of Sunday's mediated negotiations with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes." Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 president Joe McCann says it's concerning that employer Transdev waited a week to come to the table with a mediator, but the union remains "optimistic" a deal can be done.

Union 'optimistic' ahead of negotiations to end accessible transit strike in B.C.

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog
Alberta's police watchdog says it was necessary for police to shoot a man who stabbed a mother and her child outside a school last year. Carolann Robillard and her 11-year-old were killed in what Edmonton police called a random attack.

Fatal shooting of man who stabbed mother and child justified: Alberta police watchdog

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign
British Columbia's Official Opposition BC United party now says it will run some candidates in the Oct. 19 election, despite suspending its campaign last week to support the B.C. Conservative Party instead. A letter to party members says despite last week's suspension "we intend on running a select number of candidates" in the fall election.

BC United to run some candidates to keep party name alive, despite halting campaign