Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jun, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Defence lawyers continue submissions at hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers for five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are continuing to hammer at the credibility of the complainant as they make final submissions at the players' sexual assault trial.

A lawyer representing Alex Formenton is arguing that video evidence from the bar where the woman first encountered several of the players contradicts her testimony that she was plied with alcohol and separated from her friends, and that she was extremely intoxicated.

Daniel Brown has repeatedly argued the woman lied or embellished in her testimony, and that her account of what happened evolved over time.

Court heard submissions Monday from lawyers representing Michael McLeod and Carter Hart. 

McLeod's lawyer, David Humphrey, argued the complainant has presented an "entirely unbelievable and unreliable" version of the events at the heart of the trial.

McLeod, Hart, Formenton and their former teammates Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The charges relate to an encounter with a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018, at a time when many of the team's members were in town for events celebrating their championship win.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre wants 'shovel ready zones' with pre-approved construction permits

Poilievre wants 'shovel ready zones' with pre-approved construction permits
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants to create what he calls "shovel ready zones" that would have pre-approved permits for major projects resources or energy projects. In a media statement, Poilievre says that the goal is to permits in place for a mine, liquefied natural gas plant, pipeline or other major project. 

Poilievre wants 'shovel ready zones' with pre-approved construction permits

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau
A major federal union says it's worried about a plan to eliminate more than 300 positions at Canada’s Translation Bureau. In a news release, the Canadian Association of Professional Employees says it’s condemning a five-year business plan that would shrink the bureau’s workforce by almost 25 per cent.

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday
Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to launch a federal election campaign on Sunday and send Canadians to the polls as soon as April 28. While sources would not confirm the date of the vote, federal campaigns must run at least 37 days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty
Tiff Macklem says that means monetary policymakers may be “acting quickly” when it comes to setting interest rates, rather than looking far into the horizon to stay “flexible and adaptable.”

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report
A preliminary report into a plane crash at Toronto's Pearson airport last month says the aircraft's alert system issued a warning about the descent rate less than three seconds before touchdown. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada released its report Thursday morning as it continues to investigate the Feb. 17 crash landing that sent 21 people to hospital, noting that it's too early to draw any conclusions.

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting
RCMP say charges have been laid in a shooting that killed one person and injured two others in the Northwest Territories. Officers responded to a home early Saturday morning in the hamlet of Fort Providence, where a 31-year-old man was found dead.

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting