Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Deportation decision delayed in Broncos case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Dec, 2021 01:07 PM
  • Deportation decision delayed in Broncos case

A decision on whether a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash should be deported to India likely won't be coming until the new year.

A lawyer for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 33, had sent a voluminous amount of paperwork to the Canada Border Services Agency earlier this year arguing why he should be allowed to stay in Canada once his sentence has been served.

Sidhu was sentenced to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the April 2018 collision that killed 16 people and injured 13.

Court was told Sidhu, a newly married permanent resident, had missed a stop sign at a rural Saskatchewan intersection and drove into the path of the Broncos bus carrying players and staff to a junior hockey league playoff game.

The Canada Border Services Agency is to write a report recommending whether he be allowed to stay in his adopted country or be deported. The deadline for the paperwork to be submitted was Nov. 28, but that has been delayed one month.

"Since it's been so long since we made our original submissions, they wanted to give us an opportunity to update our information with anything new before they made a decision," Calgary immigration lawyer Michael Greene said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Greene said there's not a lot of new information to submit, but he wants to be thorough and has asked for some updated correctional reports.

"The psychologist is going to pay (Sidhu) another visit just to see if there's been any changes in his mental health that could affect his report," he said.

"We're confident we submitted a very strong package in the first place but, on the other hand, it's a difficult decision and we don't want to go back and say, 'Oh, we missed something that we should have had in there.'"

The 415 pages sent to the federal agency include letters from Sidhu's family, the public and three Broncos families, including Scott Thomas whose 18-year-old son, Evan, died in the crash.

"I know for a fact that (Sidhu) will never drive a semi again. I know for a fact that if he could take back what happened that day he would in a heartbeat. He would trade places with any one of those boys,” Thomas said earlier this year.

Greene said he's surprised by the positive feedback in the case, especially after his client spoke to a few media outlets to tell his story.

"It's tough because I think most Canadians felt genuine pain and anguish for the victims and I expected that would result in a lot of anger, and it's surprisingly not been the case," Greene said.

"This never leaves (Sidhu) so he's battling his own post-traumatic stress as are so many people who've been touched by this. He's ... really committed to making something positive out of a terrible situation."

Chris Joseph, whose son Jaxon also died in the crash, is one of several Broncos families who have written letters asking for Sidhu to be deported. He said it's the law and laws are there for a reason.

"I can appreciate how 29 families can feel different ways about him but, in my view, the matter of deportation is not about forgiveness. It's not about how you feel about a person. It's not about whether you think he made a single mistake," Joseph said.

"If he's deported, I could maybe even toy with the idea of considering forgiveness. But if he's not deported, then we're going to be even more hurt and I don't think I'll ever get to that place."

Greene said his client has not sought parole and was only moved from medium security to minimum security at the end of August.

Either way, the lawyer said, Sidhu wouldn't be leaving the country immediately.

"There are other processes and he's not getting on a plane any time soon, even if they decide that's what they want to do."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance to locate a 14-year-old missing girl

Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance to locate a 14-year-old missing girl
UPDATE: The RCMP is pleased to confirm that the 14 year-old youth that was reported missing on August 23, 2021, has been located, and she is safe and sound. Thanks to the media and public for your assistance.  The original release has been deleted from our social account.

Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance to locate a 14-year-old missing girl

BC is now second province after Quebec to require a vaccine passport card

BC is now second province after Quebec to require a vaccine passport card
British Columbia will be requiring proof of vaccination for people attending certain social and recreational settings and events. As of September 13, one dose of vaccine will be required for entry to these settings. Proof of vaccination will also be required for people visiting from outside of B.C. using a provincially/territorially recognized official record alongside valid government ID from the jurisdiction.      

BC is now second province after Quebec to require a vaccine passport card

Canadian special forces outside Kabul airport

Canadian special forces outside Kabul airport
The military's special forces are operating outside the closed confines of Kabul's chaotic airport to get people on flights out of Afghanistan, Canadian officials disclosed Monday.

Canadian special forces outside Kabul airport

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail
As the federal election campaign entered its second full week, the Liberals painted themselves as the trusted guardians of universal health care and the New Democrats promised to be true environmental stewards by ending fossil fuel subsidies.

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti
Approximately 400 people were aboard the ship when they were not allowed to enter Canada. The City of Vancouver issued a statement, that it was "saddened" to learn the memorial had been defaced, noting workers will be sent to remove the paint.

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.
More than 60 evacuation orders are in place across British Columbia, and there are nearly 120 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave within minutes.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.