Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Deportation decision delayed in Broncos case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Dec, 2021 01:07 PM
  • Deportation decision delayed in Broncos case

A decision on whether a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash should be deported to India likely won't be coming until the new year.

A lawyer for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 33, had sent a voluminous amount of paperwork to the Canada Border Services Agency earlier this year arguing why he should be allowed to stay in Canada once his sentence has been served.

Sidhu was sentenced to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the April 2018 collision that killed 16 people and injured 13.

Court was told Sidhu, a newly married permanent resident, had missed a stop sign at a rural Saskatchewan intersection and drove into the path of the Broncos bus carrying players and staff to a junior hockey league playoff game.

The Canada Border Services Agency is to write a report recommending whether he be allowed to stay in his adopted country or be deported. The deadline for the paperwork to be submitted was Nov. 28, but that has been delayed one month.

"Since it's been so long since we made our original submissions, they wanted to give us an opportunity to update our information with anything new before they made a decision," Calgary immigration lawyer Michael Greene said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Greene said there's not a lot of new information to submit, but he wants to be thorough and has asked for some updated correctional reports.

"The psychologist is going to pay (Sidhu) another visit just to see if there's been any changes in his mental health that could affect his report," he said.

"We're confident we submitted a very strong package in the first place but, on the other hand, it's a difficult decision and we don't want to go back and say, 'Oh, we missed something that we should have had in there.'"

The 415 pages sent to the federal agency include letters from Sidhu's family, the public and three Broncos families, including Scott Thomas whose 18-year-old son, Evan, died in the crash.

"I know for a fact that (Sidhu) will never drive a semi again. I know for a fact that if he could take back what happened that day he would in a heartbeat. He would trade places with any one of those boys,” Thomas said earlier this year.

Greene said he's surprised by the positive feedback in the case, especially after his client spoke to a few media outlets to tell his story.

"It's tough because I think most Canadians felt genuine pain and anguish for the victims and I expected that would result in a lot of anger, and it's surprisingly not been the case," Greene said.

"This never leaves (Sidhu) so he's battling his own post-traumatic stress as are so many people who've been touched by this. He's ... really committed to making something positive out of a terrible situation."

Chris Joseph, whose son Jaxon also died in the crash, is one of several Broncos families who have written letters asking for Sidhu to be deported. He said it's the law and laws are there for a reason.

"I can appreciate how 29 families can feel different ways about him but, in my view, the matter of deportation is not about forgiveness. It's not about how you feel about a person. It's not about whether you think he made a single mistake," Joseph said.

"If he's deported, I could maybe even toy with the idea of considering forgiveness. But if he's not deported, then we're going to be even more hurt and I don't think I'll ever get to that place."

Greene said his client has not sought parole and was only moved from medium security to minimum security at the end of August.

Either way, the lawyer said, Sidhu wouldn't be leaving the country immediately.

"There are other processes and he's not getting on a plane any time soon, even if they decide that's what they want to do."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver police deal with confrontation involving a man with a sword

Vancouver police deal with confrontation involving a man with a sword
“One suspect had a sword and had reportedly crawled through the window of a ground-level apartment.” VPD officers responded immediately, and arrived moments later. That’s when the 29-year-old suspect tried to run away from police.

Vancouver police deal with confrontation involving a man with a sword

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire
Investigators in British Columbia have zeroed in on two areas of interest for the cause of a fire that razed the village of Lytton. RCMP said in a news release Monday that investigators completed a "fulsome search" of an area near Lytton that is about one kilometre in radius.

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

Canada to aid Afghanistan after U.S. withdrawal

Canada to aid Afghanistan after U.S. withdrawal
U.S. President Joe Biden said last week the U.S. military operation in Afghanistan will end Aug. 31, nearly 20 years after the United States and its allies took down the Taliban government in Kabul.

Canada to aid Afghanistan after U.S. withdrawal

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire
A two-kilometre area in the nearby community of Boston Bar was also searched where physical and digital forensic evidence was collected and witnesses were interviewed, they said.

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

Power lines to Vancouver Island found damaged

Power lines to Vancouver Island found damaged
BC Hydro says it's working to repair a damaged underwater cable that delivers power to Vancouver Island. The utility says in a news release that its monitoring system detected a bulge and oil leak in one of its cables on July 8 that extends from the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver Island.

Power lines to Vancouver Island found damaged

123 COVID19 cases over 3 days

123 COVID19 cases over 3 days
Over a 3 day period, B.C. is reporting 123 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 148,154 cases in the province. There are outbreaks. Laurel Place at Surrey Memorial Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital (Fraser Health) and Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).

123 COVID19 cases over 3 days