Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 11:37 AM
  • Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet

Premier David Eby says "kitchen table" issues in British Columbia will be the focus for his revamped, post election cabinet that was sworn in on Monday.

Eby's new cabinet, comprising 23 ministers and four ministers of state, features a mix of new and familiar faces elected in last month's narrow one-seat New Democrat election win.

"The things that concern your family around the kitchen table are going to be the issues that concern our team around the cabinet table," he said after the cabinet introduction ceremony at government house.

"Ours will be a government that listens and ours will be a government that delivers," said Eby, adding "that was the message that people sent us here to do this job in this recent election."

"That is something every one of these members and everyone who was elected is going to carry with them in the work they do over the next four years," he said.

He said the priorities for the new cabinet and the NDP government will include good paying jobs, family doctors for everybody, safe communities and affordable homes.

Eby shuffled veteran ministers Adrian Dix and Mike Farnworth and introduced to cabinet several newly elected members of the legislature.

Dix, the longtime health minister who guided the province through the COVID-19 pandemic, was moved to energy and climate solutions, while Josie Osborne, a two-term MLA and a former mayor of Tofino, will take on health.

Eby said Dix was moved to energy and climate solutions because of his track record of success.

"I need someone who can deliver and Adrian is that minister," Eby said at a news conference. "It's critically important for our government."

Dix will be tasked with ensuring B.C. develops its clean energy systems and markets, he said.

Osborne said as a resident and a former mayor of a rural community, she understood the health-care needs of people outside B.C.'s urban areas.

"Everybody deserves access to health care," said Osborne, acknowledging that many rural B.C. communities have concerns about recurring hospital emergency department closures. "I hear you. I see you."

Farnworth, B.C.'s veteran solicitor general and public safety minister, was moved out of those portfolios and into transportation and transit, and will also serve as NDP house leader.

Garry Begg, a former RCMP officer, got one of the biggest cheers when he was introduced by Eby as the new solicitor general and public safety minister, elevating him from the backbench to cabinet.

Eby introduced Begg by the nickname "Landslide" in a nod to his wafer-thin 21-vote victory in Surrey that secured the government its one-seat majority. 

Brenda Bailey, the former jobs minister and a Vancouver businesswoman, moves into the crucial finance portfolio.

Newly elected MLAs also featured in the cabinet, with former broadcaster Randene Neill becoming minister of land, water and resource management, and Vancouver Police Department veteran Terry Yung named minister of state for community safety.

Among the senior cabinet ministers who kept their jobs were Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon and Attorney General Niki Sharma, whose first duty upon being reappointed was accepting the Great Seal of British Columbia from Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin.

Austin opened Monday's swearing-in ceremony by paying tribute to former premier John Horgan, who died of thyroid cancer last week.

She called Horgan "a fine man" who loved B.C., and said she would miss his "dad jokes" and "corny" sense of humour.

Eby said after the ceremony that his team would make affordability a priority issue.

"(For) those families hit hard by inflation and rising costs, our focus will be on controlling your costs, supporting you with the cost of everything from housing to car insurance and delivering a middle-income tax cut to support you and your family in these challenging times," he said.

During the campaign, Eby promised a $1,000 tax cut for the average family, starting next year and benefiting 90 per cent of British Columbians.

Eby faced the challenge of filling the cabinet from a caucus reduced to 47 members in the Oct. 19 election, which gave the NDP the narrowest of majorities in the 93-seat legislature.

Former B.C. Liberal cabinet minister Mike Bernier, who ran unsuccessfully as an Independent last month in his Dawson Creek-area riding, said Eby had to find ways to bring rural representation into the cabinet even though most of his members were from Metro Vancouver or Vancouver Island.

Brittny Anderson, who won in Kootenay-Central, helped fulfil that goal, being appointed minister of state for local government and rural communities.

Energy and mining were carved into two separate portfolios, with Jagrup Brar taking on the latter, now renamed mining and critical minerals.

"We have two separate ministries dedicated to major economic growth sectors for us," Eby said.

The legislature's youngest MLA, Ravi Parmar, entered cabinet as forests minister.

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad said Eby had been invisible when it comes to rural B.C., and he and his 44-member caucus were looking forward to holding the government to account on numerous issues. 

Green Leader Sonia Furstenau said in a statement the party was pleased Eby appointed a cabinet with a strong representation of women in leadership roles and a female majority.

“We are particularly pleased to see Niki Sharma appointed as deputy premier and Attorney General, Tamara Davidson as Minister of Environment and Parks, and Bailey as Minister of Finance," she said. These critical roles will have a significant impact on shaping the future of British Columbia."

Eby said the NDP government continued to negotiate will the Greens about how the party's two elected members could work with the government.

"I hope British Columbians see in this cabinet an experienced team that's going to be focused on the priorities they sent us to Victoria to address," he said.

MORE National ARTICLES

New affordable housing in Langley

New affordable housing in Langley
A new building with close to 100 affordable homes is now open in Langley. A statement from B-C's housing ministry says the five-storey building offers apartments of various sizes for people with low and moderate incomes.

New affordable housing in Langley

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access
In today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, the integration of technology in education is both inevitable and contentious. Recently, British Columbia made headlines with the announcement of an upcoming province-wide restriction on cellphone use in public schools, sparking a debate that echoes the concerns and perspectives of various stakeholders – parents, students, and teachers alike.

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say
Data from Vancouver police shows a "dramatic" drop in small drug seizures after decriminalization came into effect in British Columbia last year. The department says during the first nine months of the program officers did not seize any drugs under 2.5 grams, as is outlined in Health Canada's three-year exemption.  

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M
Mounties in Richmond are warning the public after a "significant rise" in romance scams and investment schemes in the city, with a loss of more than $16 million last year. Police say they received 87 reports of romance crimes in 2023, and the trend continues this year with another 12 cases being reported between January to March with nearly $500,000 lost.

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says
British Columbia has approved the use of an updated Taser weapon for officers around the province to use as a less-lethal weapon during police confrontations. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the Taser 7 offers the ability to discharge a second shot without reloading a new cartridge and its short-distance shooting range option, among other "enhancements."

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

Text message scam in Nanaimo

Text message scam in Nanaimo
Mounties in Nanaimo say a text message scam is making its way through the community claiming drivers owe money for speeding in a school zone. Investigators say the bogus text was received by dozens of individuals throughout the Okanagan.

Text message scam in Nanaimo