Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:51 AM
  • Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Doctors who were thrust into national fame when COVID-19 hit five years ago say they try to focus on positive feedback from the public rather than the angry backlash and threats of violence they faced. 

British Columbia public health chief Dr. Bonnie Henry still has a security detail to this day because of threats against her and her family from people angry about lockdowns or opposed to COVID vaccination. 

Henry says some people were lashing out in a time of crisis and many believed widespread vaccine disinformation — but she continued to emphasize the importance of kindness and getting through the pandemic together. 

University of Alberta infectious diseases specialist Dr. Lynora Saxinger says she keeps Thank You letters and cards from people grateful for her guidance during the pandemic as an antidote to hateful emails or social media posts.  

Nova Scotia chief medical officer Dr. Robert Strang says his family was threatened, but the vast majority of people he interacted with online or in-person were kind and thankful.  

All three doctors say they've learned it's important to communicate clearly to build trust — including explaining how decisions and advice can change during a public health crisis as new scientific evidence becomes available. 

MORE National ARTICLES

U.S. Capitol rioter arrested in B.C. ski resort after claiming political asylum

U.S. Capitol rioter arrested in B.C. ski resort after claiming political asylum
An American man convicted for his part in the riot on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 has been arrested in the ski resort of Whistler. The Canada Border Services Agency says in a statement that Antony Vo, described as "a fugitive from U.S. justice," was arrested on Monday without incident.

U.S. Capitol rioter arrested in B.C. ski resort after claiming political asylum

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility
British Columbia's election agency is reviewing a complaint of irregularities in a riding where a narrow NDP victory in last October's election gave the party a one-seat majority, with Conservative Leader John Rustad highlighting allegations related to improper mail-in voting at an addiction recovery facility.

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership
Ontario MP Chandra Arya is the second Liberal to announce he wants to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as leader of the Liberal party. Arya posted on social media Thursday morning he wants to campaign on running a "small, more efficient government" and on offering "bold political decisions" to solve the country's problems.

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts
At a meeting in Germany on Thursday of the Ukrainian Defence Contact Group, Defence Minister Bill Blair announced details of $440 million in Canadian funding for Ukraine promised earlier this year.

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires
Pascal Duclos, head pilot for the Quebec government's aerial service, said he spent several hours in the air on Tuesday, dumping dozens of loads of water over fire-devastated areas from his plane.

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER
The Manitoba government says a review is being launched into the death of a man who waited eight hours in a Winnipeg emergency department, but it's not clear how much of the review will be made public. Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara says a critical incident review will look at what happened after the man was brought by ambulance to the Health Sciences Centre early Tuesday morning.

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER