Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:51 AM
  • Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Doctors who were thrust into national fame when COVID-19 hit five years ago say they try to focus on positive feedback from the public rather than the angry backlash and threats of violence they faced. 

British Columbia public health chief Dr. Bonnie Henry still has a security detail to this day because of threats against her and her family from people angry about lockdowns or opposed to COVID vaccination. 

Henry says some people were lashing out in a time of crisis and many believed widespread vaccine disinformation — but she continued to emphasize the importance of kindness and getting through the pandemic together. 

University of Alberta infectious diseases specialist Dr. Lynora Saxinger says she keeps Thank You letters and cards from people grateful for her guidance during the pandemic as an antidote to hateful emails or social media posts.  

Nova Scotia chief medical officer Dr. Robert Strang says his family was threatened, but the vast majority of people he interacted with online or in-person were kind and thankful.  

All three doctors say they've learned it's important to communicate clearly to build trust — including explaining how decisions and advice can change during a public health crisis as new scientific evidence becomes available. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order
In an application dated Dec. 3, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it is seeking to quash MacKinnon's direction on Nov. 12 to the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations in B.C. after a lockout imposed by employers.

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark
Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day. On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to meet with provincial and territorial premiers Wednesday afternoon to talk Canada-U.S. relations. The premiers will virtually discuss a plan to tackle the threat of 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports by incoming U.S. president Donald Trump.

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward
The Bank of Canada lowered its key interest rate by half a percentage point on Wednesday but signalled a slower pace of rate cuts moving forward. The decision marked the fifth consecutive reduction since June and brings the central bank’s key rate down to 3.25 per cent.

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward

Increase in Vancouver property tax in 2025

Increase in Vancouver property tax in 2025
A statement from the city says the overall increase of 3.9 per cent is one of the lowest across the region following a 7.5 per cent increase for 2024. Mayor Ken Sim had earlier set a cap of 5.5 per cent for the 2025 increase.

Increase in Vancouver property tax in 2025

TikTok files legal challenge of federal government's shutdown order

TikTok files legal challenge of federal government's shutdown order
TikTok is challenging the federal government’s order to shut down its operations in Canada. The company filed in documents in Federal Court in Vancouver on Thursday.

TikTok files legal challenge of federal government's shutdown order